Setting up the bator and setting shipped eggs this week....anyone else wanna join?

Well 2 hatched but one died.  So we have Chicken Little who is a tough little bird!  And is also slowly becoming a "hoodie chick".  I feel so bad it's the solo baby.  I did not put it out in the brooder in the garage.  Chicken Little is currently set up in a nice aquarium in the extra bedroom but spends a lot of time in my hoodie.  

Set another dozen mixed color wyandotte eggs Saturday and got a new thermometer.  I think that was my issue.  I had got the Brinsea Spot check and calibrated it but when I checked it before setting this hatch it was way off.  

so sorry! Any day old chicks at the farm store where you could get one for company? I have also seen where people put a small stuffed animal in with them to keep them company...or a mirror. Although the hoodie sounds very cute!

Now I know you all have seen this before, but it's a first for me, so humor me for just a minute please.....

Here's the best picture I could get while holding a flashlight AND trying to take a picture at the same time.....not an easy task mind you!

This is also the egg that rolled...I thought I was loosing my chicken loving mind at first....ahhhhh confirmation I'm not crazy......at least this time!

wee.gif

Vicki - I'm soooo sorry to hear about that. Cyber hugs coming your way! That storm effected so many people. It looked bad on TV. How are the orp babies? I know you will incubate again and have a great hatch!
thumbsup.gif

YAY!! Glad the chick is doing so well now. Any other activity?

Welcome! Thank you so much for read our thread. Join in and hatch when you are ready! I feel we were and are still all in it together and what an amazing experience it is...with highs and lows.

We all hatch a little different but I use a Little Giant Incubator. This was my 4th hatch and I found this to be my best hatch yet. I did still air with an egg turner. I kept the humidity around 50% til lockdown (Day 18) and slowly raised it to 60% for hatch day (Day 20 & 21) using a wet sponge in the corner. During the incubating period I didn't handle my eggs much, only twice (Day 7 & Day 10) to random candle for veining and signs of life growing. I candle again on Day 18 as I put the eggs in lockdown....clear eggs I toss at that point. Which I had 6 out of 41 eggs.

You will learn alot through trail and error, plus find alot of great advice and experience on this site. Also, you meet so many nice people from around the country at share a love for chickens as you and I do. I love it here and you will too!!

Good luck with finishing your coop and then getting or hatching chicks. Keep us updated. BYC is loaded with answers to all your questions. So many topics and threads to learn from.
Hello everyone I was reading your post and wondered if you could answer a question on humidity I have read about dry incubating what are your thoughts on that?

so sorry! Any day old chicks at the farm store where you could get one for company? I have also seen where people put a small stuffed animal in with them to keep them company...or a mirror. Although the hoodie sounds very cute!
I was wondering if I could do the stuffed animal thing, although Chicken Little spends very little time in the brooder. LOL. Between my hubby and I and the dogs it is getting lots of snuggle time.

Watching the Walking Dead last night:

Playing on the bed today in it's room:

I was wondering if I could do the stuffed animal thing, although Chicken Little spends very little time in the brooder. LOL. Between my hubby and I and the dogs it is getting lots of snuggle time.

Watching the Walking Dead last night:

Playing on the bed today in it's room:

So cute! I think it will grow up not knowing it is a chicken! Next thing you know, you will be buying a bed, chicken diapers and a chicken sized remote control!

Now I know you all have seen this before, but it's a first for me, so humor me for just a minute please.....

Here's the best picture I could get while holding a flashlight AND trying to take a picture at the same time.....not an easy task mind you!

This is also the egg that rolled...I thought I was loosing my chicken loving mind at first....ahhhhh confirmation I'm not crazy......at least this time!

wee.gif

That's a beautiful sight!!!!

Hello everyone I was reading your post and wondered if you could answer a question on humidity I have read about dry incubating what are your thoughts on that?

I am a middle of the road hatcher .... with a tendency to dry hatch...how's that for vague???
big_smile.png
I read a ton on dry hatching, and I think it makes a lot of sense! I am in S. California, not too far from the ocean, so I have a very moderate climate with not a lot of humidity normally. I try to keep incubator between 30% and 40% for humidity the first 18 days, then go into lockdown between 58-62% . A dry hatcher will go dryer than that if I understand right. My last hatch on shipped eggs was 100%. I think you have to find what works for you, your incubator, and your part of the country. I also think it is very helpful to mark the air cell day 1 (if you can see it), day 7, 10 and make sure you are seeing it grow at a correct rate, comparing it with the many pictures you can find on here, so you can make adjustments a long the way.

There are so many variables in hatching, it is hard to create a perfect scenario (other than a broody hen...
smile.png
) Over time you will find what is a good match for you.

The other folks on here have a ton more experience than me, and will share their experience I am sure!

My eggs are due to hatch tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the ones under my broody are a bust since they were due to hatch yesterday and she managed to poo all over them. In the incubator I have a Welsummer and 5 D'uccle eggs pipped. So excited!

Back
Top Bottom