Setup for D20 + timer - help!

Thanks! I can't see the timer dial clearly enough which makes me think it may be different from mine. But I will test the settings you recommended. I'm in N. CA, Sonoma Co., an area where the predators don't come out till about 1 or 2 am, in my experience of having hens killed.

My timer is not in the pictures as I have it overhead on the rafters. That shouldn't matter though. Set the times on the timer and the only thing you should need to fiddle with is getting the switches for the motor spaced right. Bypass the timer for that and just plug it in and unplug it as you cycle it and adjust it.

Interesting motor... if you make the door slide past the bottom a bit then a predator can't get a grip to lift it up and gain entry. I would not use anything that can be grabbed like a screen and lifted up. I use aluminum diamond plate from home improvement store for my door.

No reason to close the door past dusk as chickens can't see in the dark and will not be moving around. Mine are all on the roost at sundown each day. No point in giving the early bird predator an open door.

JT

Agreed on both accounts.

I have my cutting board facing smooth side out and it fits into a groove on the bottom so it would be difficult for a predator to grip or pry it up.

Currently it is dark a little after 6 so my door closes at 6:30. Everyone except one is on the roost by about 5:45 but I have to keep it open a little later for her lol. She's a bit timid so she waits to eat her dinner after everyone is inside.

Back
Top Bottom