Several problems with hatch(please help before my next batch!)

twinkletoes

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Metamora, MI
I have a genesis 1588(the new type). I incubated according to the instructions that came with it. It was preset to 100 degrees ad I kept one well filled(stayed around 50-55% humidity). For lockdown I removed the automatic turner and filled the 2nd well(was up to 65-70% humidity so a little higher then the instructions recommended so I cracked the lid slightly which brought it down to 60-65% steadily). On day 20 I had 1 hatch fine on its own. Woke up on day 21 to 5 more that had hatched just fine. I hadn't once opened the bator during this time. Humidity was up to 74% when i woke up that morning. Then I started to get nervous about a chick that hadn't made much progress from its pip. The outer white membrane was looking very white and papery. Everything I've read made me think it was shrink wrapping so I took the other 6 chicks out(humidity dropped to 56% then got back up within a couple minutes). I ended up helping that chick out and it was fine. Then I had 1 that had pipped and had bubbles coming out(indicating drowning, correct?). Sadly, I didn't see that in time to save the chick. I went to bed last night with 3 more that had pipped. I figured I would help them out in the morning if they hadn't made progress(they all had clear breathing holes). I woke up to one that had died(looked sticky and had cemented). The other 2 hadn't changed so I helped them both out and they are looking good now. I went ahead and candled the rest of the eggs. I began making pips in the eggs and discovered 7 died in their shells and were clearly shrink wrapped! I had set 32 eggs. 11 were infertile, 3 had died towards the end of incubation, 9 died during lockdown and 9 are alive and well!

My question is what the heck could have happened? And what should I do differently next time? This is my first hatch and the incubator stayed pretty steady with temp and humidity. Also, during lockdown humidity never went below 56%. I did have a second thermometer in there that stayed right at 100 degrees. I'm guessing I should buy a hydrometer before next batch.

Last edited:
i'll help bump you. i feel like you did everything right. i'm no professional with hatching, but i've been hatching for 3 years now (about 2 batches a year). i have the same bator you do. i do exactly what you do as well. i have awesome hatches with local eggs and not so awesome hatches with shipped eggs. i've had "sticky chicks" too. but not too many. i hope someone else can be of more help to you.

i'll help bump you. i feel like you did everything right. i'm no professional with hatching, but i've been hatching for 3 years now (about 2 batches a year). i have the same bator you do. i do exactly what you do as well. i have awesome hatches with local eggs and not so awesome hatches with shipped eggs. i've had "sticky chicks" too. but not too many. i hope someone else can be of more help to you.

Thank you! Do you have other thermometers and hydrometers in the bator or do you just use the built in one?

Back
Top Bottom