Several questions on raising chicks

So my chicks ate a cricket, well more chick than chicks, and they havent had grit yet (i think the stuff im using is non medicated Purina premium feed which i dont think has grit) should i be worried about it at all?  

Did it eat it outside? Do they get any time out in the grass? I usually don't ever give grit to the chicks but I do dig then a clump of dirt and grass out of the yard once they're a week or so old..that not only gives them the grit they need in the form of dirt but also gives their immune system a slow intro to the local bacteria and whatever in the dirt..
Your chick will be fine though :)

That thing is HUUUGGGEEE o.o. Kill it with fire, or a shovel both work.  I hope I never have to deal with one that big around my chicks or we may be having trouble XD.

And yes, it was..it's 'friend' was about 6 inches longer and it had showed up a couple days later..they were both released WAY up on the hill in the same general area..they never made it back down near the house that I ever saw..but that was years ago..they're probably dead now. .not sure how long they live but that was in '07 and I'm sure they were several years old considering their size..
And I despise a snake..but would still rather have one in my bed than a spider anywhere in my bedroom..I don't know why and I was raised straight country and have been a tomboy my whole life but spiders turn my insides to jelly and I just want to curl in the fetal position and cry and shake myself to sleep

Last edited:
They'll be okay, I'm sure.. you can start giving them dirt and grass out of the yard. If you're not comfortable giving them a whole clump you can give regular chick grit and cut the grass up with scissors for them..my youngest chicks seem to like it cut up.
I also read somewhere a while back to start the grit a couple days before introducing anything else, but I don't know what the side effects would be if you didnt..

Walked in and found the remnants of what appears to have been a daddy Longleg. They like their bugs.... Is it alright to be eating the bugs this much.

Do chickens have runts

She seems a bit lethargic, I picked her up and she protested slightly but not too much. She's alive so she's eating and drinking, I haven't personally seen it but should I be worried, anything I can do to help her? To make sure she's ok

I'd try giving some poultry nutridrench. If you can get her to take a drop , as well as mixing it in their water for a few days, it may give her the boost she needs. Never insert liquid directly into a chick's mouth, but if you hold her and put the drop up to her beak, she may suck it in. Or you could mix their food into a oat meal consistency wet mash and put some in that. Be sure to change the water every day when adding ANY supplements, as they will grow bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom