severe anxiety in 1month+ poult Anyone got any cures?

chevgrl

Songster
8 Years
Feb 6, 2011
Western Iowa
okay so i have a 1 1/2month old poult I hatched him and 4others. One died rather quickly. and the other 4 did great up until they were like 3 weeks old i put them in a small portable run it was like 96f out side and like no wind. with in an hour 2 were dead. so i brought my 2 survivoirs inside and left them for 3weeks thinking they werent ready. then i set up a small 5x3 run in my chicken coop. and after 3 days 1had died. This guys seems to be growning and is livley, but I am so frustrated! they were getting tetracycline for the first 3 weeks then i switched to Vi-tal vitamin in their water.
This little poult it so anxious... He just keeps running his head into the side of the pen. the chicken wire is cutting into his head. Im wondering if i place a blanket over one end if you would be able to rest Or can i put a box in there for him to get out of sight. He is super calm when you hold him. but the instant you set him down he just paces back and forth and he no longer has any fluff or starter feathers on the top of his head cause he just keeps raming it into the side of the pen he had a little snood and it is gone and where it used to be is just covered in blood.

I could really use any advice for my little guy it just want him to be restful. He wont eat any treats i put in his pen.

Last edited:
Could he be lonely? Is there anyway of getting him a friend or two? I'm not very experienced with this sort of thing though so am simply guessing. Hugs x

Did you have them on the ground on dirt??????? Why were you giving them tetracyline? My poults are usually in a raised brooder until they are about 12 weeks old. I don't give them any extra vitamins or anything. They eat 30% protein gamebird feed.

Maybe they died from heat exhaustion/heat stroke. My adult chickens are experience problems at those temps, so I can imagine a baby poult.

thats what i thought but when there was two of them they were both freaking out. so i but my always broody/motherly hen in with him and he was scared to death of her... but now she wont leave the coop shes glued to the side ofhis pen.

Ineed some chicks...now i just got to find some month old chicks

Quote:
i guess it could have been the heat but their brooder was anywhere from 97-86 and they always slept righ under the light. I was told to keep them on the tetracycline cause they were in a building with my chickens.

I dont know anything about turkeys honestly. A friend was mowing hay and saw the nest and the hen never came back to the nest...he knew i incubated chicken eggs alot and brought them up to the house. they were all viable eggs and all but 3 developed up to 19 days and then we lost our power for like 12hrs and i lost most of them.All but 5

If you can find a chick his age that would help. I have baby turkeys, 9 keets and 3 chicks all living together outside since the day they hatched. I had lost a chick and a keet to my daughters dog, one disappeared (dog I suspect) and a freak accident where a piece of 4x4 fell on a chick. They are all a month old now and running around the yard like they own it. It's a giant playground for them. All the other chickens, turkeys, ducks and geese leave them be. I did have a light on for them until it stayed hot out at night. That lasted about a week. Do you have any chicks you can put the little guy with? How about a towel and a stuffed animal? Is he on any grass? They love chasing bugs. If you have one of those metal pens you could put that in the yard near other chickens and let him eat grass and bugs. I would put some netting on top to keep other birds out and the turkey from flying out. I hope the baby calms down.

are you on good terms with broody hen? sometimes it just takes a proper introduction. sit with the hen and poult and encourage them to be friendly. turks are strong flock animals, they hate to be alone.

Back
Top Bottom