Severe bumble foot in roo

Gout is a really good suggestion. Do you know if he was being fed layer pellets or possibly raised on them? If it is gout, he'll probably have some degree of kidney damage. Make sure he's on an appropriate all-flock style feed that doesn't contain excess calcium if he isn't already.
Hawkie? He doesn't get any extra calcium.Just on all-flock now. He was raised on scrap and free range before he was brought to me injured and covered in maggots.Now he stays with me because the young roos are a problem.Hawkie is around 13 or 14 yrs old and blind in one eye.Totally spoiled!:D

Hawkie? He doesn't get any extra calcium.Just on all-flock now. He was raised on scrap and free range before he was brought to me injured and covered in maggots.Now he stays with me because the young roos are a problem.Hawkie is around 13 or 14 yrs old and blind in one eye.Totally spoiled!:D
Sorry, meant in regards to the OP. 13 though, that's an old boy... you must be doing everything right.

View attachment 1941557 View attachment 1941558 This poor too! I took in 15 chickens and 1 roster 2 weeks ago. Instantly noticed his severely swollen feet. I was told, ‘they have always looked like that.’ I caught him and was floored at conditions of his feet. Occasionally I get a bumble and treat early. I’ve never seen this before!
Tx: soaked in epsom daily, then chlorahexidine. I removed bumbles (5 or 6 on each foot) ..there was hard yellow pus throughout feet. I cleaned as much as I could. Apply antibiotic ointment and wrap well daily. He is separated on fresh bedding. I injected penicillin daily for 6 days. Still soaking and wrapping daily. Some more pus pockets break through here and there. He had red lines running up his legs when I first started antibiotics but that seems better. Feet don’t seem less swollen. I feel so bad for him, he is so sweet. Acting fine, eating and drinking well. I noticed loose stool from him today. What else can I do? I know..vet..but last time I took a chicken to local vet..$400..I just can’t afford it. Any other ideas? These were pics over a week ago after soaking in betadine. I’ll take new pics when I wrap tomorrow. I just noticed limping for first time today (I can’t believe he never limped before this) is this just way to bad to save ? Anyone ever had luck with it this bad in both feet? Kindest regards, jenn
I have a rooster with feet that look vary simular to yours. He's basically had it for his whole life. I have never thought about treating him for it. I doubt it is the same thing your rooster is going through. He's not effected by it at all. I hope your roo gets better soon:fl

Back
Top Bottom