SEVERE bumblefoot!!! Somebody please help!!!

meganhundley

Songster
8 Years
Aug 6, 2015
Heathsville, VA
This is my roosters foot. We took him to the vet, (NOT and avian vet) he would not cut the infection out, all he did was give him antibiotics, which did nothing. I'm terrified to do the bumblefoot surgery. We started but the whole bottom of his foot is rock hard and I think the kernel is WAY bigger than we initially thought. What do i do? We dont have an avian vet anywhere nearby and I dont want to just let it go, its obviously painful for him and it's spreading up his leg. And to top it off, this is his only good leg. His other leg is pretty much useless due to an accident laat year.
20230813_213834.jpg

Can you stand him up and take a clear picture of this foot with him standing on it?

What antibiotic did the vet give you and how long did you give it to him?

We've wrapped it up for the night and he's resting now. I may have some pictures in my camera roll, I dont know if I have any of him standing on it though. Let me check, I'll post what I have...

These are pics my daughter took...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230814_025059_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20230814_025059_Message+.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20230814_025114_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20230814_025114_Message+.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20230814_025132_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20230814_025132_Message+.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 17
Antibiotics will be good to keep the infection from spreading.
You don’t have to do “surgery “. Just give his foot a really good soaking. I found it easiest to take a cotton ball, soak it in soapy water and tie it too the wound with vet wrap (make sure the wrap is not too tight and wrap between the toes, under foot, around the leg and back between the toes, etc. You want to have a layer of vet wrap between all toes. Anyway, leave the wet cotton ball kn for at least an hour, maybe two, then take it off and work arounf the wound feom the edges to work the kernel free. Use tweezers. When you can grab the kernel you might have to pul quite hard, but tou should be able to just pull it out. Make sure tou got all of it. It will bleed, so be ready with some gauze. Then rinse the hole with vetericyn and pack it with neosporin. Cover with a small gauze pad and vet wrap the foot again. Leave it on for a couple of days, then clean, neosporin, gauze, wrap again every coiple of days until healed. My hen had bumnle foot on both feet and it took me a number of tries because I could never soak her feet long enough. The wet cotton ball method finally did the trick! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom