Severe bumblefoot surgery **GRAPHIC**

Lol, priceless picture of Huevos!

I wondered if using Epsom Salt in the soaking water would be a bad idea if I am ever unlucky and have to deal with this?

I love that others love their animals too. They are depend ant on us. Never would I have thought that I would nurse a chicken back to health. I too have a very special hen "Rocky" aka Rock Star. She has over come many days in my basement for rehab due to different attacks/illness. They understand that we are there to help. Hats off to all of you who go the extra mile.

celebrate.gif

Thought I'd give an update to Skye. It's long overdue - but I've just been too busy to sit down it seems like!

Skye continues to heal. But not as fast as I would like. Granted I didn't expect this to be gone in one week - but it's really gone on for a while now and I'm was still working on one side of his foot while the other side got bigger as the staph just moved over there. So I broke down a few days ago and starting using penicillin. Given that he has such good blood flow to his foot - I've been injecting it right into his foot for maximum effectiveness. I've done that 3 times, and now I will just use his breast or thigh muscle. But I do want to note - the tea tree oil is working everywhere that it can reach - and if I kept at it - it would work all the way. But I really am to the point that i want to get him to 100% so that he can rejoin the flock soon. He's been in the house for over 2 months now.
hide.gif

I cut out a large staph plug the day before yesterday but there was still some left. Since this was a new area, I was working slowly and only getting little bits at a time. I started where it was close to the top and had to be slow because of his tendon in there. I didn't want to cut it. Then I was so far down that I realized that I was almost to the bottom of his foot, so I cut a hole on the bottom and worked on that. Finally my husband came in and said are you going to give that poor bird a rest?? You've been at for an hour and half! OMG!! I didn't realize that much time had passed. And here's Skye just laying down wrapped in his blanket, quiet as can be! He actually goes to sleep sometimes.

I only work on him every other day now to give him time in between. Of course he gets a nice scrambled egg treat after ever procedure. I think he lays still so that he can have eggs.
D.gif

I'll try to get some pictures again tonight. But he may wait until morning - he woke me up at 3, 5, and 6 - crowing away....ugh. I hope he gets better soon!

Thought I'd give an update to Skye. It's long overdue - but I've just been too busy to sit down it seems like!

Skye continues to heal. But not as fast as I would like. Granted I didn't expect this to be gone in one week - but it's really gone on for a while now and I'm was still working on one side of his foot while the other side got bigger as the staph just moved over there. So I broke down a few days ago and starting using penicillin. Given that he has such good blood flow to his foot - I've been injecting it right into his foot for maximum effectiveness. I've done that 3 times, and now I will just use his breast or thigh muscle. But I do want to note - the tea tree oil is working everywhere that it can reach - and if I kept at it - it would work all the way. But I really am to the point that i want to get him to 100% so that he can rejoin the flock soon. He's been in the house for over 2 months now.
hide.gif

I cut out a large staph plug the day before yesterday but there was still some left. Since this was a new area, I was working slowly and only getting little bits at a time. I started where it was close to the top and had to be slow because of his tendon in there. I didn't want to cut it. Then I was so far down that I realized that I was almost to the bottom of his foot, so I cut a hole on the bottom and worked on that. Finally my husband came in and said are you going to give that poor bird a rest?? You've been at for an hour and half! OMG!! I didn't realize that much time had passed. And here's Skye just laying down wrapped in his blanket, quiet as can be! He actually goes to sleep sometimes.

I only work on him every other day now to give him time in between. Of course he gets a nice scrambled egg treat after ever procedure. I think he lays still so that he can have eggs.
D.gif

I'll try to get some pictures again tonight. But he may wait until morning - he woke me up at 3, 5, and 6 - crowing away....ugh. I hope he gets better soon!
Aww. what a trooper. He'll get better!
thumbsup.gif

hide.gif

D.gif

Wow ! you really have stayed right in there. My hat is off to your diligence.

I'm glad your Skye is doing better! I had the same thing with a chicken (hen) someone dumped in my yard. That was 2 years ago. I cut her open too. I had to repeat the procedure, it came back she is doing fine now. I check her about once a week. She ended up with the name Bumble Baby. I used prep.H on her wounds. It seemed to work. Bumble Baby has become a spoiled hen and bullies everybody around. My only complaint is, I wish they would make the animal wrap is 1" strips. If they do I haven't found it. What is teatree oil? I'd like to get some for my medicine cabinet. Please give us an update. bty, When I had to clean up BB's Poop, I was shocked to realize, I sure was glad to see it!!!!!!! didn't mind a bit.

Whatever happened to Skye? I was looking for info about treating bumblefoot and came across your thread. It was a good read and I want to know the end! Thank you so much for posting pictures of the surgery and detailed info! I'm also anti-anti-biotics. I have 6 chicks (first time chicken keeping! Can you tell? ;) ) and 2 were the wrong breed so I switched them with the gal that had mine (we did a group order). I think one of the 1 week old chicks she gave me has bumblefoot. :( (it's also pretty dirty and raggety looking) Should I do surgery or do a garlic infused water soak and coconut oil with tea tree oil after??? These look like just scabs to me but the other chicks feet are fine so this has to be bumblefoot, right?

Back
Top Bottom