Severe cross beak help?

Sc Owell Farm

Chirping
Jul 24, 2020
Hello again friends,
One of my coworkers asked me to take in a family chicken with cross beak. The initial picture I received didn't look too bad and I figured some beak trimming and tlc would do the trick.
Upon receiving her, it's much worse than I thought...
No idea what her age or breed is. Trying to use a syringe to feed but the tip of her tongue is stuck out and drying up.

Any suggestions? Also any tips on beak trimming would be appreciated as I haven't done this before...

Attachments

• 20230815_175944.jpg
    20230815_175944.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 94
Hello again friends,
One of my coworkers asked me to take in a family chicken with cross beak. The initial picture I received didn't look too bad and I figured some beak trimming and tlc would do the trick.
Upon receiving her, it's much worse than I thought...
No idea what her age or breed is. Trying to use a syringe to feed but the tip of her tongue is stuck out and drying up.

Any suggestions? Also any tips on beak trimming would be appreciated as I haven't done this before...
Deep dish, wet soupy mash of a high protein crumble fed 3 to 5 times a day. That's if she will eat on her own. My cross beak was that bad but I did not have the time to do the recommended number of feedings so she slowly starved. :( I lost her in Feb this year(2023) and she was born Aug 2022. There is a very good facebook group for this that I would suggest joining.

Crossbeaks and Special Needs

Deep dish, wet soupy mash of a high protein crumble fed 3 to 5 times a day. That's if she will eat on her own. My cross beak was that bad but I did not have the time to do the recommended number of feedings so she slowly starved. :( I lost her in Feb this year(2023) and she was born Aug 2022. There is a very good facebook group for this that I would suggest joining.

Crossbeaks and Special Needs

Thank you so much! We were able to get a little food and vitamin water in her tonight. I made a very liquidy mash to see if she can eat on her own at all, but I don't think she can. I don't have the ability to hand feed that often either, but we're going to try.
Very sorry to hear about your girl... I sadly don't think this one will make it either, but goodness she's a sweet thing!

Thank you so much! We were able to get a little food and vitamin water in her tonight. I made a very liquidy mash to see if she can eat on her own at all, but I don't think she can. I don't have the ability to hand feed that often either, but we're going to try.
Very sorry to hear about your girl... I sadly don't think this one will make it either, but goodness she's a sweet thing!
They are very sweet. My own was named Sister aka Twisted Sister and she was my feather dog all her life. It was hard when she went. The next order I had of Ameraucana that had a cross beak I ended up culling asap. It was hard but I didn't want it to suffer like Sister did. *tears* Still hurts and I feel I let her suffer for my own sake. But if you are going to try deffently ask questions and become apart of that facebook group they are great. I hope she lives for you! If she tries then its the good thing to try for her!

You can creat a sling and straighten her beak over time, if it’s NOT hot where you live, and if you are able to remove it a few times a day to make sure she drinks and eats, because this thing will have to be on her for about a month.
You can wet her beak and apply pressure from the side for ten minutes, four times a day, until condition is improved. Then you must trim to beak to most ideal shape possible.

Back
Top Bottom