Severe Infestation! Not Lice! Need ID and Treatment Advice! (The Ivomec Worked!! No More Bugs!!)

Well, the antibiotics are working and the infection in the skin has begun to clear up a bit. They are also a bit more active and are eating a considerable amount of feed.

After spraying twice daily with a 10% concentration of poultry insectiside spray the bugs haven't gone away. I have now decided to up the anny and have treated them with Ivomec Horse wormer Paste(1.87% concentration).

For those of you who don't know horse dewormer is quite effective against lice and mites, but should only be used when sprays fail. Give a pea sized glob for each 5lbs. of weight for the chicken and treat again 14 days later for best effect.

Well, the antibiotics are working and the infection in the skin has begun to clear up a bit. They are also a bit more active and are eating a considerable amount of feed.

After spraying twice daily with a 10% concentration of poultry insectiside spray the bugs haven't gone away. I have now decided to up the anny and have treated them with Ivomec Horse wormer Paste(1.87% concentration).

For those of you who don't know horse dewormer is quite effective against lice and mites, but should only be used when sprays fail. Give a pea sized glob for each 5lbs. of weight for the chicken and treat again 14 days later for best effect.
Ivermectin paste will kill mites in chickens, but not lice in chickens. Cattle lice suck blood...different type of lice than chickens get. Chicken lice dont suck blood. You can refer to the link I posted in this thread if you wish. I also recommend redosing the your chickens in 10 days vice 14 days with the pea size amount of ivermectin. Mite eggs hatch around the 7th day and are at the larva stage about the 10th day. That's when you want to nail them. Any later than that, they mature quickly into adults and mate, creating more eggs, You dont want that to happen. It'll defeat your purpose and have to start all over again. Additionally you must treat the coops, roosts and nests, repeat again in 10 days.

It seems that the Ivomec Wormer worked!! I didn't see a single bug when i looked Yesterday!!

Their skin is also clearing up. It is less red and is actually returning to its original color.

Back
Top Bottom