Severe pecking injury and returning to flock

MyShunshyn

Songster
9 Years
Jan 16, 2011
Sperrassoville, OK
I have a hen that had to be removed from the flock due to a severe pecking injury to her head.
I am not sure what happened but I think the severity of the injury is due to the fact that our Turkey at least was involved at some point.
I brought her in and assessed the injury, which was pretty bloody with a lot of feather loss. The skin was punctured in a few places but not too damaged so I cleaned it up and applied Vetricyn wound spray. I clean it daily and it is scabbed up but otherwise looks good.
she is eating and drinking just fine but seems a little off. I am not sure how to explain it other than possible brain injury?
Some times she walks fine then other times she waddles like a duck and doesn't completely stand up.
I don't have an avian vet close to me so that is not an option but I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with anything like this and what they did.
I also don't want to separate her from the flock for too long but don't know when

I should start reintroducing her.
Her comb is damaged from about halfway back and her head is bald and scabbed from there to about 1 inch below hear ears.
I will try to post pics and maybe a video of her movements.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Have you removed the turkey? Turkeys should not be housed with chickens because they can get blackhead disease from the chickens, and they can hurt the chickens. I would make sure she is healed before re-introducing, but you can put her back with the flock in her own crate, so they stay familiar with her. During the day when you can watch them, I would let her out to range with the others. You might want to keep her in the cage at night until you are sure that she won't be hurt again.

no we have not removed the Turkey, he was raised with them and they are 3 years old with never a problem until now. I think it happened because we had to close them in the coop due to damage to their secure run which allowed an Opossum to get in. We have fixed the run and will not have to lock the coop up.
I have been allowing her outside in the secure run when the weather permits free range time so they can see her but not hurt her.
my concerns are more about the odd walking and seeming sluggish. I am concerned the odd behavior will cause her to be bullied.

MyShunshyn

Back
Top Bottom