Severe Pecking Issues

nharbison0722

Chirping
May 26, 2016
Hi everyone,

I've posted a couple of times now about pecking issues in my small flock. I had two that I had to separate because they were pecked to the point of injury and found the two that were aggressive and separated them out as well. That leaves me with just 6 in the flock in the run and I just found them after the weekend (was gone on a trip), with bald rear ends and one of my larger birds pecking at them relentlessly. I caught her doing that yesterday, but I'm out of places to separate them into. I have tried using Pick No More but it doesn't seem to be helping. I have thought about getting a plastic mesh electric fence to make their run are several times bigger, don't know if that would help or not. My coop and run are quite large and more than enough square footage for all birds. I'm simply at a loss. I don't want any more to get injured. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

There are many good articles on cannibalism in chickens if you Google the term. Boredom, overcrowding, feeding too little protein, not getting outside to free range daily, different age groups, colors, or breeds can all be possible reasons for pecking. I once had to remove my beautiful silver and golden wyandottes due ro their bullying of my other chickens. Some breeds are more meek also. I would spend some time with them daily to figure out what needs to be done. Try feeding some higher protein snacks to bump up their layer feed. Things like chopped egg, high protein gamebird feed, all flock or flock raiser feed, or small amounts of a good high protein dry cat food may help. Let them outside at daylight and let them come in on their own. Try some rhings like a flock block, some chopped kale or cabbage in the coop, swings, or things to climb on. Try the blue staining BluKote on red or bare areas to hide them. Bad tasting ointments such as Ben Gay or menthol, Bag balm, or Vicks have been tried by others. Hopefully, you can help them overcome this, but it can become a habit, and rehoming is sometimes necessary.

Back
Top Bottom