Severe pecking order injury - chick on chick violence!

KCNC06

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Central NC
I have gotten to the point where I'm realizing I was truly insane for thinking I could care for 22 chicks this early in my chicken raising. I feel absolutely horrible about my apparent mistake that lead to one of my chicks getting pecked extremely badly. Here's my shameful story...

The six biggest, oldest chicks (about 7 weeks old) have moved out to a pen in the garage to wait for their real owner to finish building a pen for them. (I agreed to buy/raise a few chicks for my sister's friend so he didn't have to mess with keeping chicks inside since I was getting some for myself anyway.) On Saturday, 3 more of the bigger chicks (6 weeks old) moved to a pen right beside the pen that the biggest chicks were in. The pens were touching each other so the chicks from both pens would be able to see/touch/smell each other without actually being able to get to each other. I figured this was the safest way to reintroduce them so the 6 wk old chicks could move into bigger pen in the garage with the others. They were right beside each other Saturday and Sunday, so yesterday before I left for work I put the 6 wk olds in with the big meanies.

I guess 2 days of being side by side wasn't enough time to get used to each other or something, because one of the 3 smaller chicks was pecked up pretty badly when I got home yesterday. The other 2, and all 6 of the biggest chicks don't have a mark on them, I'm guessing this particular chick was just the one that everyone decided would be at the bottom of the pecking order. Anyway, she's in rough shape. She has very few feathers left on her rear end, back side of her belly, and the backs of her thighs. (Why would they attack her butt end so badly?!?) And has a couple bloody areas on her shoulders/back. Now here's the grossest, most horrible, guilt inducing part of her injuries. It looks like they may have pecked her vent area pretty badly while they were attacking her. The skin around her vent is purpleish and the white part of her poo (I guess it's really more like pee right?) just oozes out of her vent and down her little backside all the time. She's obviously in pain, she won't lay down to sleep, she just stands there with her feathers puffed up and her head tucked down onto her chest. I cleaned her backside up with a mix of warm water and iodine, and put her in a cage by herself with a heat lamp. She'll drink a little water on her own, but it seems like she actually knows that eating/drinking is just going to lead to more stuff coming out and hurting her backside so she's not drinking much. She's alert, she'll peep when I pick her up and tries (a little) to get away while I'm cleaning her backside.

I know pecking is the natural way of establishing the flock so I shouldn't be too upset with the bigger chicks and really blame myself for thinking they were ready to be back together - though obviously it wasn't a big deal for the other two. All rational thought aside, I'm ticked off at those big meanie chicks and I'm VERY ready to send them to their new home!!

So, what else is there that I can do for this chick? Should I be doing anything to clean her vent area other than gently dabbing it with a wash cloth soaked in the warm water solution? I obviously don't want to poke around her vent too much and cause more damage, but if I need to poke around I will. It does look like there's some of the actual poo in her vent, like the dark part not the white. I really feel terrible, I've had a rotten chicken week so far and it's only Tuesday! (One of my chicks crawled inside the feeder Saturday night and shaved the feathers and skin off his back and shoulders. He's doing fine down, just wants to be back in with the rest of the chicks. Last night I had a hen run away because she had gotten out of the pen and couldn't figure out how to get back in once it got dark and the rest of the girls went back to the coop to roost. I walked around in the woods in the pouring rain with a flashlight looking and calling for her for about 30 minutes. Then we found her sitting on the front porch!)

Any suggestions of other things I should try with this chickie? Or should I just stick with what I'm doing and hope she gets better on her own....or should I consider calling the vet to see if they can put her out of her misery when I take my "puppy" in for his "happy birthday neutering" on Thursday? The vet doesn't treat chickens, but if she has to be put out of her misery I'm not going to be able to do it. I can clean poopy butts until I barf, but I can't purposefully kill something.

Keep the poor little picked on chick by herself. Until she is completly healed. Then try and reintroduce her. If that doesnt work, remove her again for a while. She may have to wait till she is bigger before you can put her in w/the flock.

I don't know why chickens do that. But once they get blood drawn, they get nasty.

It sounds like you are doing all you can. Once the shock of the trauma wears off, she should be ok. Keep up what you are doing.

Quote:
Well, two of the chicks that attacked her are "Big Yellow Meanie" (a leghorn chick...guess her name should be changed to "Big White Meanie") and "Jerk"...I guess it shouldn't surprise me that they were mean to her! It does surprise me that the other two who have been with this one the whole time (the 7 wk old chicks only moved to the garage pen a week ago) turned against her so quickly. It's odd seeing animals do the same things that people do.

Right now we have three cages of chicks in the "brooder room"....it had been the spare bedroom before I got chick fever last month. One cage has all the 3-5 week old chicks, one has the Rhode Island Red that shaved his feathers/back skin off on the feeder, and one with this poor pathetic chick. They're all right up next to each other....but I guess by now I should have learned that beside each other does not make a flock.

To make the whole situation more pathetic, my 4 yr old pit bull girl is crazy depressed because I won't let her lay in the room with her chicks all the time. She LOVES her babies, is super protective of them, and apparently can tell that this one is hurt and sad so she wants to be right there with it. She doesn't seem to notice that the chick is a little scared of her though. Here's a picture of her with Ostrich Lord, our Australorp chick.

41509_karmaschick.jpg

KC--I've never tried this before, so I don't know if there would be a negative impact, but if the area around her vent is that raw, all new droppings are just going to make it worse & probably impossible to heal---anyway, perhaps you could try some Desitin (or other baby diaper rash cream) on the raw skin around the vent. It may decrease her obvious discomfort, and may aid the skin to heal. Just a thought...

BCSilkies - I was actually thinking about the diaper rash cream idea a little bit ago when I was looking up first aid stuff. It seems like something like A&D ointment couldn't hurt. Well, I mean couldn't be harmful since Vaseline is listed as something that you should keep in your chicken first aid kit and A&D ointment is basically just Vaseline with vitamins A & D right? How do I make sure I get her rear completely clean before I put any sort of ointment on her? I've cleaned her twice now with the warm water solution and it doesn't look like I'm getting everything, but I don't want to press or rub too hard because I know touching her at all has got to hurt! If she'll let me, is it okay to just lower her backside into a container of warm water to soak it a little? Kind of like a chicken sitz bath?

Back
Top Bottom