Severe prolapsed vent with vent gleet! Need help! (graphic photos)

theawesomechick

Songster
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
Sitting in front of a computer
Henley Reeves, one of my Delaware hens, has a severe prolapsed vent that I'm guessing comes with vent gleet (due to the stink), and I'm not sure what to do next. We've soaked it in epsom salt and applied antibiotic cream (without pain killer). However, when we tried to push the vent back in, Henley kept trying to push it out with an expression of constipation. Therefore, we have been unable to push the vent back in, which I know is the most important part. She's currently been placed in the garage (dark, of course) with a dish of water. I'm going to try and keep the room dark for most of the day in order to prevent her egg-laying. Does anyone have any advice on how I can keep the vent in? We already had a hen die recently due to unsuccessful doctoring
sad.png
so I am really scared to take any risks.

Here are some photos: (WARNING-- GRAPHIC)

There is also, as you can see, a hard yellow coating around the vent. I saw on another thread that this will soften in a few dies with application of the cream. We have also trimmed the feathers around the vent.

What do I do now? The vent won't stay in, and I'm out of ideas.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Hi one of our horses had a prolapsed womb, I would rush her to the vet immediately with out horse they posted it back in and put a stitch in, I should imagine it is painful as if she is a layer she could have a. Egg inside, hope she get better soon

Hi there, I'm just wondering how Henley Reeves made out with her vent issue? Our 1yo Leghorn has the same issue with her vent - your photo looks like a carbon copy of her poor vent. We have had her isolated and in a dark cage for the last two days, giving her lots of probiotics and fluids, twice daily bottom baths and preparation H for the vent prolapse. She has the same dark ring with the caked on white stuff. Not sure if it will fall off? Desperate for help or insight!!!

Yes I had the same problem with an Easter Egger. After a couple of days of waiting and hoping I put unmedicated Prep H but you can probably use any type of natural lubricant and pushed it in and the trick was to leave my finger inside for several minutes regardless of her trying to push it out. It was the only thing that worked for me.

Not the best pictures and wear gloves of course. I didn't have any and waiting was no longer an option. Last picture she was back to laying eggs about a week or so later.

001.JPG
001.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
012.JPG
014.JPG
004.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I'll try holding it in for a few mins instead of one ;-) Yesterday she was just poking it back out (maybe because the tissue is crusty and abrasive?) Did your EE also have the scabby looking thing and vent gleet or just the prolapse?

Thanks for the photos! My girl won't keep it in, despite the holding. Will continue the warm baths with Epsom salts, prep H and probiotics... hoping the scab falls off. I'm concerned about her cloaca narrowing from the scabbing/scar tissue.

Back
Top Bottom