Severely broken wing. UPDATED with pics

Dickie is still with me and seems none the worse for the wear considering what he is going through. I am amazed at how resiliant he is. He is eating well and drinking normal so I am still taking that as a very positive indicator.
I made the mistake of trying to body wrap the wing yesterday and it only caused him to thrash about and fall several times. I knew he would only further injur the wing if it was left that way so I had to quickly remove that wrap and he is fine now. I pray he did not do any damage in those struggles.
barnie.gif

Tomorrow I am going to try and get Karen to help me cearefully undo the bandages and re-wrap it all after cleaning.
fl.gif
I can only hope it goes well.

good luck tomorrow.
You may be overdoing the bandaging when attempting to restrict it to the body... it might be only necessary to to extend the (vetwrap) at the tip of the wing over back and underneath and attach to (damaged /bandaged)wing (if that doesnt do it bring up and reattach to just past the extension >dont use tape on the body wrap )... that should be enough to support the damaged wing/keep from "using" moving it without unbalancing him?
(Less might be better in restricting wing to body is what I am trying to say.)

Last edited:
Tried to follow your advice, dlhunicorn, but he simply will not tollerate any afixing to the body at all in any degree. He pitched a fit and ripped it loose with his feet! No more attempting to sabilize via any body wraps. Too much risk involved since he does not seem to have the tollerance for it.
hmm.png

I appreciate all the helpful suggestions though.
He seems to be doing ok otherwise. Had one close call when he hung the wing up and panicked. Figures
roll.png
He seems ok though so
fl.gif
we will press forward and hopefully overcome!
I'll keep posting his progress.
Thanks all!

Tonight Karen and I unwrapped Dickies wing and took off the cardboard splint to get a good look at how his wing was progressing. We discovered that the tissue was starting to regain it's healthy pink tinge and that the bruising was going away much faster than we had expected. The large open wound had started healing and the bone pieces seemed to be remaining in reasonable proximity of one another so we hope that they will fuse with time.
In process of removing the first splint we unwittingly pulled out a few feathers which had stuck in the gauze and caused some bleeding. Other than that, the process went rather well.
We were both amazed at how much improvement could be seen in the injury already. It was a horrific site to behold on the day he broke it and we were both pretty certain that his chances for survival were grim at best. I much regret that in our haste and confusion we failed to make pictures when this all first happened as well as the first part of his treatment.
One can't begin to fathom how truly awful this injury was without having seen it from the onset of the accident. I am so grateful that things seem to be going well and I hope that they continue to do so.
Here are a couple of pics I made tonight after the wraps came off.
13220_turkey_splint_003.jpg

13220_turkey_splint_004.jpg

WOW- It looks like Dickie is going to be good as new, so pat yourself on the back, breath. Good job so far. Sorry I haven't got to post yet, just found the thread, been caring for Sadie. It is clearly amazing how strong these birds are. The skin color is important, Thats when I knew Sadie was going to pull through alright. If Dickie is anything like Sadie it will be spoiled, spoiled, spoiled after all the attension. lol Don't worry about not getting pics sooner just take care of your boy. It's hard to think of everything when your are caring for you bird with one hand and trying to hold your heart with the other one at the same time. It does get easier though. Keep us posted. Give me a hollar if I can help.

Sara

Last edited:
Well how is Dickie? We need a update on that wing. I heard he is outside, had to save the furniture. LOL I hope he is good and ya'll are taking care of yourselves. It should be any day with Miss Sadie and I can't beleive how lucky I am to still have her. Brave girl just like your brave Dickie is. Update us when you get a chance and prayers to ya'll. YOUR FRIEND, SARA

Hi Sara and everyone else who's kept up with this thread,

Dickie is hanging in there. He looks good and seems to act as normal as can be. I guess we will know how the progress is goin with that wing tonight when Karen and I take the splint off for the second time.
fl.gif
If it has progressed as well this time as the first week, he will have a excellent chance at having partial use of that wing again!!! I am so excited about that possibility!

Sara, it's so great to hear that Sadie is still doing well. It's a amazing thing that both these birds have made it through these terrible accidents! I'll be sure to update with pics on the wing progress.

Thanks for all the prayers and support!
Robin and Dickie

Hang in there Robin, the waiting is truley the worst part I have found. You guys are doing a great job and I've got you guys in my prayers. Pic will be great when you get a chance.

your friend,
Sara & Sadie

Hi everyone! Dickie's wing is mending slowly. I have new pics of it. The bones are not where they should be but I am in the hope that they will slowly calcify and fuse into a large lump
hmm.png
At least if they do that he will have some use of the wing and be able to lead a normal life. Thanks again for all the support and encouragement.
A special thanks to my new friends Sarah and Sadie
smile.png
You two are awesome!

13220_turkey_splint_006.jpg

Hi Robin, How is Dickie? I know you guys are doing a wonderful job for him and if all the love that you have given him shows up in that wing it will be good as new.

I went to the vet today that treated Sadie to get more meds. {Sadie didn't go} and I spoke in detail with the attending vet tech when Sadie was there and got some helpful info to help us with her. Lets just say I'm feeling alot better about the situation than I was the day before. I will keep you posted.

I have ya'll in my prayers and have all the confidence that its all going to be good. Hit my e-mail back when you get a chance and I'll fill you in on my vet visit today.

Have a happy Thanksgiving!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom