Sex and breed advice for new chicken owners

Silkies are beloved for how good natured they are. I have only had one and she was a sweetheart.

I have had good luck with roos but my approach has been not more than 2- no space- and when they push, and they will, be firm but kind.

I'd catch em and force cuddle them. šŸ˜† They really hated being caught- but then they'd give up- and enjoy the cuddles- just like when they were little chicks. Lol

I have kept bantam cockerels & roosters because I have had a mixed flock.

Because your boys are cockerels, not roosters, if it were me, I'd keep the smaller ones because you have some smaller pullets and unexperienced cockerels are stupid. šŸ™„

Your little Polish Pullet & several silkie pullets will likely get the rough end as it's surprise me if any danced for em.

Are any of your cockerels dropping the wing and dancing yet..? If so, that's a sign of a gentleman. Asking permission. šŸ˜

I'd also see who actually tidbits for them and they listen to. They girls should have some preference at this point, too.

If you are interested in having chicks (one day in the future), whatever sort you might like to have- say- silkie- it's far easier to have the male than to introduce one later also.

Back
Top Bottom