Sex? ...I mean... Hen or Roo *cough cough*

Fck1nNeisha

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2023
Northwest, CT
Hey there I had another thread about these two from an assortment I received from Hoover hatchery, Best guess is some sort of Egger mix. They are almost 7 weeks old, I have two and this one has me worried that it's a Roo because it is bigger than the other similar pullet, it's back feathers have a mohawk unlike the other, and I fear it is more curious than the other, yet still not my most curious. Sidenote... I paid extra for pullets but it's only a 90% guarantee sooo... I'd like for y'all to tell me I'm crazy 😂

Attachments

• Polish_20230519_184249254.jpg
    Polish_20230519_184249254.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 39
  • Polish_20230519_184212553.jpg
    Polish_20230519_184212553.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Polish_20230519_184144998.jpg
    Polish_20230519_184144998.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 24
The "mohawk" is a crest. It can happen on males or females.

In this case, the chicken probably has some Cream Legbar ancestors.

Cream Legbars have small crests, like what your chick has. For comparison, Polish are a breed that grows large crests.

The "mohawk" is a crest. It can happen on males or females.

In this case, the chicken probably has some Cream Legbar ancestors.

Cream Legbars have small crests, like what your chick has. For comparison, Polish are a breed that grows large crests.
But on the back? I get the crest, some eggers and CCLs Im sure they have to be mixed but the other has nicely laid out back feathers and this one has a mohawk down it's back like a dino 😂 I don't know much about the breeds but that is why I'm curious

But on the back? I get the crest, some eggers and CCLs Im sure they have to be mixed but the other has nicely laid out back feathers and this one has a mohawk down it's back like a dino 😂 I don't know much about the breeds but that is why I'm curious
Oh, I missed that it was running down the back too :oops:
I thought you were asking about the head.

For the feathers on the back, I have never seen it on a male or a female before. So I do not think it can be useful for telling the sex of the chick, even though I do not know what it really is.

Based on the comb size/color, I think the chick is probably female.
Based on the color/pattern of the feathers, I also think the chick is probably female (similar to the way males & females are different colors in Cream Legbars or Black Breasted Red varieties of various breeds.)

Back
Top Bottom