Sex-linked coloring (?) on day old chick

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
So my research has dug up the fact that my chicks with laced wyandotte mamas will have sex-linked coloring. But I still don’t entirely understand this. Can you make a guess as to the sex of this day old (or maybe 2) chick? Papa is a red Orpington and mama is a blue laced red Wyandotte (who happens to have a single comb…).

2957b2fd-c49d-4352-a3cc-6191770e080d-jpeg.3352064

FF84CF45-F423-4345-8F99-55FD62CEB1BB.jpeg

85D05CB0-197F-4237-BE9C-313A429FDDC6.jpeg

DD75D139-607A-4F76-8697-9A5E2B29CA7E.jpeg

I read the following article, and my guess is female due to the multiple colors on the back and stripe running up through the head.

https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/chickens-101/how-to-tell-the-sex-of-baby-chicks/

Anyone else want to make a guess? Would it help to get pics from a different angle?

I don’t have any other chicks from this hen to compare, but I am expecting one with the same papa out of a silver laced Wyandotte mama any day now.

Attachments

• 2957B2FD-C49D-4352-A3CC-6191770E080D.jpeg
    2957B2FD-C49D-4352-A3CC-6191770E080D.jpeg
    408.1 KB · Views: 84
That combo, of Red Orpington X Blue Laced Wyandotte will not produce Sexlinked/Auto Sexing color offspring, unfortunately.

A few Sexlinked/Auto sexing breeding combinations that work are:

Solid Rooster X Barred Hen

Gold Rooster X Silver Hen

Gold rooster X Silver based dominant white hen

----------------------------------------------------------------
Not a combo for sexing, but this variety can be sexed at hatch pretty easily.

Silver, Golden, & BB Red Duckwings. Females are often times darker, & cleaner in coloration then males. Males can have more smudgy, or pale coloration with lines less clean.

That combo, of Red Orpington X Blue Laced Wyandotte will not produce Sexlinked/Auto Sexing color offspring, unfortunately.

A few Sexlinked/Auto sexing breeding combinations that work are:

Solid Rooster X Barred Hen

Gold Rooster X Silver Hen

Gold rooster X Silver based dominant white hen

----------------------------------------------------------------
Not a combo for sexing, but this variety can be sexed at hatch pretty easily.

Silver, Golden, & BB Red Duckwings. Females are often times darker, & cleaner in coloration then males. Males can have more smudgy, or pale coloration with lines less clean.
Okay. Thank you for that. I tried that German website for genetics, which I really didn’t understand what I was doing, and it shows sex-link colorations. Do you think my red orp x silver laced Wyandotte babies will be sex-linked?

Okay. Thank you for that. I tried that German website for genetics, which I really didn’t understand what I was doing, and it shows sex-link colorations. Do you think my red orp x silver laced Wyandotte babies will be sex-linked?
Red Orpington Rooster X Silver Laced Wyandotte hen will be produced Sex-linked color chicks.

The result would be Males hatching out yellow white, or white, & females Reddish orange, or tan.

Males will grow up to be either silver, or Gold/Silver Split. Females would be Red, or gold.

But since Wyandotte is used, the offspring will have messy patterns.

Back
Top Bottom