Sex linked Pekin/ Cochin bantam

Bantam pekin

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 14, 2019
Hi, I have a few different colours of pekins. White, black, lavander, buff, black motted, Cuckoo, millefleur. I will be breeding most of them true to colour. I am just looking to know from your experience if I cross certain colours for sex linked chicks?

For example if read somewhere that buff over White should give me sex linked chicks if the white hen is a silver carrier. How would I know/find that out if she is a silver carrier?

I've also read that black over cuckoo should give me sex linked?

Anymore that you know of? Thanks

Last edited:
I've also read that black over cuckoo should give me sex linked?
Hi hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Any solid darker color rooster crossed to a cuckoo or barred hen will produce sex linked offspring at hatch... with all females being solid colored and males having a white spot on their heads. As they mature all males will be barred and all females will be solid, basically. Noting that solid color doesn't have to be one color... it still works using black copper marans rooster for example. It can be done with lighter colors like Lavender over lavender cuckoo.. it's just harder to discern is my understanding.

Check out this toy and see what it does for you! The second drop down tab is in English...
http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

And something I bookmarked to help understand cuckoo...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/cuckoo-maran-bloodline.1277132/#post-20551900

Only way I know to know if your white hen is a silver carrier would be test mating maybe?? Problem with white is it can be hiding many things underneath. But hopefully you will get some more good answers.

Breeding has made genetics so fascinating and fun for me!

Happy chickeneering! :wee

Thanks very much, exactly what I am looking for. Going to be a bit of expermexperim with them to see .I love looking into genetics it's so interesting and you can learn for years about it. Thanks

Also the same should apply if I put a white silky bantam cock over a white or cuckoo pekin hen? Thanks

Also the same should apply if I put a white silky bantam cock over a white or cuckoo pekin hen? Thanks
No, white is a wild card that can be hiding many colors underneath.

White over white... will likely give white.

white over cuckoo.. according to the calculator... OH, it MIGHT work! It says it will give black pullets and maybe black cockerels with single factor barring??! :pop

Back
Top Bottom