Sex-linked poults?

JenRacine

Chirping
7 Years
May 28, 2015
I have a Narragansett Tom and Hen, the poults that hatched are mixed. If they are sex-linked are the boys or the girls the white ones? I don't understand the gene and how it works.

Attachments

• PXL_20230126_202511828.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230126_202511828.MP.jpg
    776.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20230127_213617.jpg
    IMG_20230127_213617.jpg
    548.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230127_213622.jpg
    IMG_20230127_213622.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230127-213825.png
    Screenshot_20230127-213825.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Narragansett bred to Narragansett does not produce anything except Narragansett. They breed true unless there are hidden recessive genes at play.

Your light colored poults with the dark dorsal stripe are not Narragansett poults. They appear to be Sweetgrass poults.

The other poults may be Narragansetts.

I have a Narragansett Tom and Hen, the poults that hatched are mixed. If they are sex-linked are the boys or the girls the white ones? I don't understand the gene and how it works.
Your Narragansetts aren't pure, that's why you got some light colored poults.
These yellow poults carry the Black-Winged Bronze allele (b').
1675528297299.png

If you watch closely, you can see some completely black wing feathers . This is a pretty good tell, that a turkeys carries the black-winged bronze allele (b').

@R2elk The light poults indeed look like Sweetgrass, but that's actually not possible from this mating. Both of the parents carry the Narragansett allele, and, therefore, they can't produce any Sweetgrass poults (NN / Nn / N-).
The poults actually do not really fit. I would expect so see Royal Palm poults, but RP do not have the dark dorsal stripes (at least the ones I've seen so far).

@JenRacine For how long do you own this couple? Do you have any other turkeys? Has the female been together with other males in the past 3-6 months?

@R2elk The light poults indeed look like Sweetgrass, but that's actually not possible from this mating. Both of the parents carry the Narragansett allele, and, therefore, they can't produce any Sweetgrass poults (NN / Nn / N-).
The poults actually do not really fit. I would expect so see Royal Palm poults, but RP do not have the dark dorsal stripes (at least the ones I've seen so far).
I agree and am wondering if the light colored poults are not from the said pairing.

Your Narragansetts aren't pure, that's why you got some light colored poults.
These yellow poults carry the Black-Winged Bronze allele (b').
View attachment 3395388
If you watch closely, you can see some completely black wing feathers . This is a pretty good tell, that a turkeys carries the black-winged bronze allele (b').

@JenRacine For how long do you own this couple? Do you have any other turkeys? Has the female been together with other males in the past 3-6 months?
I just have these two they are 2 years old and there are no other turkey here.

That’s what I love about mixing my bourbon red Tom and blue/ red bronze hen I get all kinds of weird colored turkeys. I got one last year that was silver colored weirdest thing I’ve ever seen of course that’s the one that got coccidia and died first.

Back
Top Bottom