Sexing 2.5 month old mixed bantams?

RejectedSingleChick

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2023
Hi all, this is a sort-of update to my last post. I successfully raised my rejected chick and have now fully re-introduced them to the flock. So far they are doing really well but still try to get back into the house whenever I am not watching, I've included a photo of them in this post. I had some questions, however, regarding sexing. This batch of chicks is a very mixed bag of a variety of bantams and potentially some larger breeds as well. They are now 2.5 months old and I am trying to sex them, but finding it difficult due to the mix of breeds. I would really like some pointers for identifying traits I can look for to sex them, I have some ideas about who is what but I am not 100% sure about any of them, particularly the smaller more frizzly ones. I can upload some photos if any one wants to take a stab in the dark about the sex of any of them but if any one has any broad tips or specific things I can look for at their age I would greatly appreciate the advice.

Attachments

• hestia.jpeg
    hestia.jpeg
    800.7 KB · Views: 38
Pullet. She's sturdy. Does she have cornish gamehen in her?
I'm on my 2nd year with bantams and I think they are much easier to identify than standards. Tips that I've found helpful for identifying gender of bantams:
They all seem to be redder earlier than standards, however males tend to develop bigger, brighter combs and wattles earlier. Also look for shiny, glittery feathers on their backs, as well as the usual pointy neck and tail feathers. Go with your instincts; if you believe one is a cockerel, you are probably right. We are relying on a picture. A picture can only show the viewer a little bit of what you see. You are seeing more than just their feathers, combs, and wattles. You're seeing the personality and the interaction with other chicks, as well as the way the physical characteristics change from day to day.

Back
Top Bottom