sexing 5-week old black australorp

duckyes

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2024
1000039710.jpg
1000039452.jpg
1000039713.jpg
1000039707.jpg
hi there everyone! this is my first post, i am new to raising chickens. i have some photos here of a young black australorp chick who just turned 5-week old today and i would appreciate any help with identifying its sex! i got my flock as day-old chicks from a hatchery and she's supposedly a female, but i am a little concerned due to her comb is looking kinda pink and her wattles are starting to show.

because i live in the city in close quarters with neighbors on both sides of my yard, i cannot keep a rooster. she is so, so sweet, serene and cuddly, she plops down whenever she hops onto my arm. she is easily my favorite baby of the flock of 10 and i would be heartbroken if she turned out to be a he!

thank you all for your help ☺️

Last edited:
View attachment 3777120View attachment 3777124View attachment 3777121View attachment 3777122hi there everyone! this is my first post, i am new to raising chickens. i have some photos here of a young black australorp chick who just turned 5-week old today and i would appreciate any help with identifying its sex! i got my flock as day-old chicks from a hatchery and she's supposedly a female, but i am a little concerned due to her comb is looking kinda pink and her wattles are starting to show.

because i live in the city in close quarters with neighbors on both sides of my yard, i cannot keep a rooster. she is so, so sweet and cuddly, i would be heartbroken if she turned out to be a he!

thank you all for your help ☺️
I think it’s a boy but wait for someone with more experience to confirm! I really really hope it’s a girl so you can keep your sweet chick!

hello and welcome!
I feel that it has equal chances being a male or female.
I think it may look more like a roo though, but I would wait and see just in case :)
1710964102900.png
I have a black Australorp named Phyllis, this is a pic of her at I'm guessing around 2 months old, although I have no idea.

This is her now.
20230716_203223.jpg

Hope this helps.

hello and welcome!
I feel that it has equal chances being a male or female.
I think it may look more like a roo though, but I would wait and see just in case :)
View attachment 3777140I have a black Australorp named Phyllis, this is a pic of her at I'm guessing around 2 months old, although I have no idea.

This is her now.
View attachment 3777142
Hope this helps.
stunning girl!!! thank you so much, i have my fingers crossed. my girl is so calm and friendly, she lets me hold her like a glass of red wine lol

Attachments

• IMG_20240308_184123_295.jpg
    IMG_20240308_184123_295.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom