Sexing 'Australian' Araucanas

Leeshajane

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 4, 2015
Australia
Hi there, we've just got 3 Araucana (the australian ones with tails) Chickens that are 6 weeks old and we're trying to work out if we have little pullets or roos. Any ideas?

Wow! I've never heard of those before... Now I want some XP. The white one looks like a pullet (so far) but the other too are kinda difficult... Could you post a close-up picture of the brown one's face? And it might still be a bit too early to tell... Maybe wait a few more weeks

Okay, kinda off topic, but I have three chicks that are half silkie and half easter egger and they kinda look like these, actually! (Except off course the feathered feet) but I really like this breed, now that I've researched them just a bit...

Hi there, we've just got 3 Araucana (the australian ones with tails) Chickens that are 6 weeks old and we're trying to work out if we have little pullets or roos. Any ideas?
I love the Aussie Araucanas! :D Think they're a bit young yet to tell, nothing really screams cockerel but I would keep an eye on the blue... comb looks a little pinker than the others, but still early yet...

Thanks so much! I'll take some more photos tomorrow morning- its a little dark now and a second pair of hands will help to get a better shot. Hoping for 3 pullets haha!

So I've taken some more photos a bit closer up, if anyone has any ideas?

chicken 1

chicken 1

chicken 2

chicken 3

chicken 3

I still think the only one looking suspicious is chicken 2... that one *might be* a roo, but the others still look like pullets...

This is very interesting as I have some araucana chicks but they are way too young to guess yet, only a couple of weeks or so.

Hi Leeshajane. how are the chickens going? I've got a flock of aussie araucanas. I'm from northern Victoria. Nice to meet another Australian on here :)
They are definitely very hard to sex for me. Until about 12-16 weeks I start to notice "back feathers" of the pullets start to become round tipped. Even this hasn't been 100%

Back
Top Bottom