Sexing Barred Rock Chicks

arh39

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 21, 2013
Hi everyone

I have 3 barred rock chicks, they are about 3 weeks old. I was wanting to know if anyone could help me sex them. Two are showing much more feather development than the other.
If I post a photo would this help?

Thanks

The first one in the picture does not have a lot of feathers yet, the other two have much more.

Two cockerels and a pullet so far. Just wait until they are 6-7 weeks old.

Cockerels will feather in with bright white, bold bars, as males carry two barring genes.
Pullets feather in with duller, smaller bars and appear darker as they only carry one barring gene.

At 6-7 weeks the cockerels will sprout little red combs and wattles. Pullets don't show any red in the combs and don't sprout much of anything for wattles until closer to maturity. The red combs and wattles on the males are secondary sex characteristics that show very early. Not so with the pullets.

They'll look different. Very different to the trained eye. Cockerels bright and pullets dark.

The behave differently as well. The males stand taller, keeping watch. This will be their role one day and they start doing this at 4 weeks. They'll give you the "eye" as you approach. They "crowd" the pullets, herding them in a way that is noticeable once you see it. They often have thicker legs too. They will grow taller, more upright, while the pullets tend to stand down when the cockerel is around.

At 7 weeks, the difference is often night and day.

Last edited:
Two cockerels and a pullet so far. Just wait until they are 6-7 weeks old.

Cockerels will feather in with bright white, bold bars, as males carry two barring genes.
Pullets feather in with duller, smaller bars and appear darker as they only carry one barring gene.

At 6-7 weeks the cockerels will sprout little red combs and wattles. Pullets don't show any red in the combs and don't sprout much of anything for wattles until closer to maturity. The red combs and wattles on the males are secondary sex characteristics that show very early. Not so with the pullets.

They'll look different. Very different to the trained eye. Cockerels bright and pullets dark.

The behave differently as well. The males stand taller, keeping watch. This will be their role one day and they start doing this at 4 weeks. They'll give you the "eye" as you approach. They "crowd" the pullets, herding them in a way that is noticeable once you see it. They often have thicker legs too. They will grow taller, more upright, while the pullets tend to stand down when the cockerel is around.

At 7 weeks, the difference is often night and day.

Quote: x2

Back
Top Bottom