Sexing Barred Rocks

Pics
Some help, please. This is my first flock (of three) and I've been assuming that Phyllis, my BR, is a hen. Since she's been the more aggressive of the three, I wonder a bit. Can anyone verify what she/he is and say why they think what they think so I can learn. Thanks! These were just taken, at about 12 weeks of age:

Definite girl there. She looks pretty!!

A pullet, but isn't showing true Barred Rock features. Her barring isn't really barring, but cuckoo type. She has an almost solid black wing tip. Her legs also look more white, not yellow, but that may be the camera. In any case, the yellow isn't strong.

Her body shape isn't particularly Rock like either. Is it possible she could be considered Cuckoo Marans or perhaps this is all just her breeding. Where did you get her?

Thank you! I thought so but wasn't sure. How do you know for sure?

The pullets/hens have the darker coloring. She has the wider black to her, whereas the males will have a wider white. That and the size of the comb and wattle definitely are smaller and would be more suited to a pullet. I currently have a Barred Rock/Lavender Orpington cross who has me all confused. Pretty sure it is a she but the comb and wattles are huge and the legs are too. But the feathering, wider dark barring (but it is a grey instead because of the Lavender Orp mix) and rounded feathering.

The pullets/hens have the darker coloring. She has the wider black to her, whereas the males will have a wider white. That and the size of the comb and wattle definitely are smaller and would be more suited to a pullet. I currently have a Barred Rock/Lavender Orpington cross who has me all confused. Pretty sure it is a she but the comb and wattles are huge and the legs are too. But the feathering, wider dark barring (but it is a grey instead because of the Lavender Orp mix) and rounded feathering.
What an interesting mix! Do you have any picks of her?

Some help, please. This is my first flock (of three) and I've been assuming that Phyllis, my BR, is a hen. Since she's been the more aggressive of the three, I wonder a bit. Can anyone verify what she/he is and say why they think what they think so I can learn. Thanks! These were just taken, at about 12 weeks of age:

Looks like a girl to me.

I have been reading through this thread and now I am questioning the sex of my 3 week old barred rocks. I took some pictures, but of course they don't want to sit still.

#1 This one I think is a roo: Mr. Stripey

#2 A pullet I hope: no name yet

#3 Another pullet I hope: Lovey Dovey

#4 Pullet: no name yet

#5 Hoping a pullet: no name yet

#6 Another pullet: no name yet

I got them from My Pet Chicken. I purchased all females, but I don't think that what I got.

Sorry the pictures are not great.

I have been reading through this thread and now I am questioning the sex of my 3 week old barred rocks. I took some pictures, but of course they don't want to sit still.

#1 This one I think is a roo: Mr. Stripey

#2 A pullet I hope: no name yet

#3 Another pullet I hope: Lovey Dovey

#4 Pullet: no name yet

#5 Hoping a pullet: no name yet

#6 Another pullet: no name yet

I got them from My Pet Chicken. I purchased all females, but I don't think that what I got.

Sorry the pictures are not great.

The pics are good enough. I agree with you though, Mr. Stripey is definitely a roo and the others look to be pullets. I tell you, you did good to get 5 though. My luck with batches of 6 has not been the best. I usually end up with 4 roosters in the mix. :-( That is why I no longer do 6. I am very much an even number person, I like things in even numbers. I know, strange, right?! But I am now doing things in odds most of the time unless I am sticking a big batch of eggs in the incubator.

The pullets/hens have the darker coloring. She has the wider black to her, whereas the males will have a wider white. That and the size of the comb and wattle definitely are smaller and would be more suited to a pullet.

Thanks for the information! Always good to learn something new.

A pullet, but isn't showing true Barred Rock features. Her barring isn't really barring, but cuckoo type. She has an almost solid black wing tip. Her legs also look more white, not yellow, but that may be the camera. In any case, the yellow isn't strong.

Her body shape isn't particularly Rock like either. Is it possible she could be considered Cuckoo Marans or perhaps this is all just her breeding. Where did you get her?

I got her at a local hen farm but I think they brought her in from another farm that does the breeding. Interesting information, though. I'll check the leg coloring but I don't recall ever seeing much yellow on her legs. I think the picture is pretty close to the real coloring. Thanks for taking the time to share that. I appreciate any information I can get.

Back
Top Bottom