Sexing Barred Rocks

chiknhurder

Songster
6 Years
Jan 8, 2014
Cass County Missouri
I purchased 5 barred rock pullets that were 8 weeks old back in the first part of November, 2013. The guy sexed them with a nut hanging from a string and told me he was 99% sure they were all pullets. I have 2 that have grown much larger than the other 3. The 2 larger ones are lighter overall in coloration, are developing their combs and waddles and have much heavier leg bones. I'm assuming that they are roosters. What do you think?

Last edited:
Frm wht ive read, wing sexing is the only for sure way. Pullets will hve longer wings thn roos but gotta do tht before 3 days old.

Sounds like boys. Post pictures so we can say for sure.

Wing sexing ONLY works on certain breeds, not all breeds. Vent sexing seems to be the most reliable, but it is not 100% right and takes YEARS to master.

Truer bred Barred Rocks are quite easy to sex, as the males have two barring genes, while the females have only one. Not too sure there weren't two nuts, one on each end of that string, but anyhow.

Yes, from your description you are properly identifying the males. The pullets don't show any comb or wattles secondary sex characteristics until they are near laying age. The cockerels begin sprouting their combs and wattles quite early, around 6 weeks of age.

The cockerels genetics make his look sharp, lighter and yes, the thicker legs is also a sign. The pullets look darker and their barring much more subdued than the males.

Truer bred Barred Rocks are quite easy to sex, as the males have two barring genes, while the females have only one. Not too sure there weren't two nuts, one on each end of that string, but anyhow.

Yes, from your description you are properly identifying the males. The pullets don't show any comb or wattles secondary sex characteristics until they are near laying age. The cockerels begin sprouting their combs and wattles quite early, around 6 weeks of age.

The cockerels genetics make his look sharp, lighter and yes, the thicker legs is also a sign. The pullets look darker and their barring much more subdued than the males.

There you go again with those beautifully hypnotizing birds
droolin.gif

Fred.... I was going to put that into my post that the 'nut was holding the string' but I didn't. Your photo looks like what I have so I'm going to guess the larger, lighter colored one is a rooster. I'll try to get a photo later on today.

Last edited:
Sounds like boys. Post pictures so we can say for sure.

Wing sexing ONLY works on certain breeds, not all breeds. Vent sexing seems to be the most reliable, but it is not 100% right and takes YEARS to master.

I'll try to post up some pics later on today. I'm fairly sure after seeing Fred's pics that I have 2 roos.

Here are some photos. First let me apologize that I was unable to get them all together for a group shot. That being said, what do you think?

In this photo, I think I see 2 pullets in front and a roo in the back.

I'm guessing this one is a roo.

This one looks like 2 pullets in front with 2 roos in the background.

This one does really show much detail but my guess is 2 and maybe 3 pullets and a 2 or maybe 3 roos. This last photo shows all 5 birds together. I think the bird in the foreground is a young roo, the one on the far right is also a young roo as well as the one on the far left. The 2 darker birds in between the background roos are probably pullets. If that's true, the nut's 99% accuracy just dropped to 40%.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom