sexing broad breasted bronze turkeys with updated pics......

I was told the three 6 month old turkeys I was given are hens....however, I think I have two toms and a hen....the two I suspect are toms have a more iridescent feathers, white tips on their tail feathers, & more caruncles.....none of them have beards...none of them are gobbling or displaying....

first pic shows all three from the back, the two more iridescent birds are to the right & I suspect are males....second one shows the difference in the tail feathers, hen on the left, two toms to the right....third pic, side view of all three birds, from the left, hen, suspected tom, suspected tom....forth pic, the hen & suspected tom side by side....fifth pic, the two suspected toms from the front....

any help in sexing my turkeys would be greatly appreciated....
All three are hens.

ok....thanks...

Yes, they do appear to be young hens. Many domestic turkeys, both heritage and production, will have strong features whether they’re male or female. For this breed, the hens tend to have a wattle that can be just as large as the toms; however, they’ll lack the bulging, color changing caruncles below the wattle. The snood is often reliable, but not always — nor a beard.

Being that these birds are 6 months old, though, and have a moderately red wattle and smaller stature, I could almost assure you that you have hens! Hope this helped!

Back
Top Bottom