Sexing day olds and caponizing them

patvetzal

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Bancroft, Ontario
Back when I took grade nine agriculture we had an incubator in class and around May we hatched a couple of dozen eggs, keeping records of everything.
The next project was sexing the chicks and castrating the roosters. This all happened back in the early 60's and was my last chicken encounter for 50 years. Now I can't remember how we sexed them. Any ideas?

You tube.
hu.gif

There are sooooooo many articles here on BYC that can help you. Just write SEXING CHICKS in the search bar and they all pop up. There are different ways like vent sexing, wing sexing, and other. Different breeds are sometimes sexed differently. Here is one helpful link, as there are so many others.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/tips-for-successfully-sexing-your-chicks

WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

Edit; caponizing is usually done at about 6 weeks. Can you stomach it???

Last edited:
Back when I took grade nine agriculture we had an incubator in class and around May we hatched a couple of dozen eggs, keeping records of everything.
The next project was sexing the chicks and castrating the roosters. This all happened back in the early 60's and was my last chicken encounter for 50 years. Now I can't remember how we sexed them. Any ideas?
You might have vent sexed them.....needs training and practice to be effective, most BYCer's don't know how. That's what the hatcheries do, with skilled, trained staff. Check out Mike Rowes Dirty Jobs.

Wing sexing is very limited to only certain breeds, tho you will find many touting and applying it ineffectively.

Most breeds will be obviously males by 5-6 weeks by color and size of comb and wattles. That has been very effective for me.

Do you remember at what age you caponized?

Last edited:
All this happened back about 1959-1960. Seems to me they were very young as we did about half of the males and had to keep records comparing the results.

All this happened back about 1959-1960. Seems to me they were very young as we did about half of the males and had to keep records comparing the results.
Wondered how they sexed them if they were younger than 5-6 weeks.
The old ways techniques have been lost.

Yes @cavemanrich I meant how old were the chicks when they were caponized...geesh, SMH.

Back
Top Bottom