Sexing eggs!

The spotted ones looked round, I have others in my coop more recently, I will keep track of, this chick hatched and all her info was written on her shell I could not even read her number, and the ones that didn't hatch, I go so disappointed because I had let them go cold when I went out of town. I just tossed them.

I checked my notes, this one is supposed to be a girl.

her comb came down more than shows in this pic.

keeping notes on my next batch, nine due the 16th, the rest on the 20th.

Last edited:
Just found this thread....this is super interesting. Had 2 males come out of the two "pointy" eggs on my last hatch. Will definitely be observing this in future hatches......

Good luck with that.  IMO, it takes a lot of training, and it's easy to hurt the chick if you don't know how to do it right... then again... the best way to learn is by doing.  But, here's the followup question:  If you are able to vent sex them, and do it accurately, (considering that the hatcheries are typically 90% or less with their accuracy) WHAT will you do with this information?  How will it benefit you in your management?  Will you immediately cull the males?  Or separate them out into a grow out pen?  (I can't see the benefit there, as they would be raised the same as females, and could be separated when they declare themselves by secondary sex characteristics.)  Or will you sell them?  Not much market for DP cockrels.  

I've watched videos of professionals vent sexing them, plus I have done it before, so I know how. And I'm doing what Linda said below you. I'd never think of culling them, I'm not like that. I do however already have four roosters so I wouldn't be able to keep anymore males so I'd have to rehome them.
Sorry it took me so long to get back, they hatched longer than expected. Ok so I have one Golden laced Wyandotte and one barred rock. I'm pretty positive that the barred rock is a male because it already has a pointy comb, and plus when I vent sexed it, it had a little dot just like the professionals said that males will have. Now on the golden laced Wyandotte there is no comb at all, and when I vent sexed it I didn't see any sign of it being a male. I can't be 100% positive though. ;) The golden laced Wyandottes egg was very circular however, and the barred rocks egg was not (entirely) round. So maybe that played a factor in it.

Here are some pics. of them. Tell me what you guys think.

Penny (Golden laced Wyandotte)

She's the curious one. ;)

Dixie [pronnonced Dix- eye] (Barred Rock)

Don't know who remembers me from awhile back in this thread, but my babies are doing well, except both are cocks. So sad. :hit
I can't keep them, and I guess I was wrong for penny's gender. He must have been that 1 in 10. :he
I was wondering if anyone on here might want them? They have to go together, because they are all each other has. I have already done a rehoming thread, but nothing yet.

Last year I was a bad judge of roos and hens. I almost gave away 3 hens because I thought they were roos. lucky for me I didn't have takers. Funny because I have been raising chickens for 43 years.

Back
Top Bottom