Sexing eggs!

Saw on TV croc eggs, if above some temperature mid-buried-period will be male and if below will be female. Thought I noticed a trend that when fed treats of kielbasa there were more roo's hatched. Perhaps due to more heat produced by fat and protein. Made nicer feathers too. Pointed or round may be due to fat availability and ease in moving the egg? Pointed perhaps due to ease that it moves toward exiting earlier.

Keep the info. coming guys! I'm learning so much I had no idea about!
Keep in mind, this is theory, fun to play with, but definitely not science. However, I'll gladly accept my outcome of 60% pullets compared to previous outcome of 40% pullets. Folks, don't forget to add your stats, both positive and negative.

Saw on TV croc eggs, if above some temperature mid-buried-period will be male and if below will be female. Thought I noticed a trend that when fed treats of kielbasa there were more roo's hatched. Perhaps due to more heat produced by fat and protein. Made nicer feathers too. Pointed or round may be due to fat availability and ease in moving the egg? Pointed perhaps due to ease that it moves toward exiting earlier.
Works some for reptiles and fish, but the only temp related outcome with poultry would be the failure to develop of a certain gender based on less than ideal hatching temps. One would risk developmental issues for remaining chicks, even if they were the chosen gender.

Nuance is important here. It's all relative: pointy eggs versus less pointy eggs, smaller eggs versus larger eggs. There are no absolutes.

Experience shows me that maintaining flexibility of thought and openness with curiosity brings new insights.

we hatch all the time. in the last batch we did this summer we did 40 in our incubator and let a freinds hen brood 6 more. we have always had tremendous success with over a 90-95% hatch rate every time. i think this is due to keeping our hen/roo ratio of 10:1, setting the eggs within a few days of collection, and being very dilligent with our temp/humidity.

our mix was 22 roos and 17 hens, 1 no-hatch. we typically get about half hens.

the brooded ones on the other hand ended up with 1 hen and 5 roos. this is the first time any of our eggs have been hatched by a broody hen.

There is a theory with turtle eggs that if the weather is hot or cold the eggs change sex. Someone said he read in a book, if you drop the temperature by 2 degrees that chicken eggs will all turn female. A load of crap. Book readers! Last season I dropped the temp. by 2 degrees & got 4 roosters & 14 hens. Don't believe all you read, experiment for yourself & keep trying. Don't let 1 failure put you off, just keep on trying. If you let it get to you with one fail, the best is to quit & pack up & forget about the whole thing. Bye ready hatched chickens.

Back
Top Bottom