Sexing Emu Experiment......

Now here's the cool part. I vent sexed the first two and was dead on right. I stoped vent sexing as I knew I'd be sending off samples for DNA sexing so didn't bother with the other 3. However....the yearling that I hatched out last season (I thought I had an "IT")...turns out to be a female!!! She is from an egg I hatched that I got from ChickenZoo. Sorry that I got your girl CZ. If it helps any, she's a real peckerhead, literally!

Great job and thanks for posting pictures. I am still waiting for my first batch to hatch. Day 49 tomorrow and I am stressing. They did not peep yet but moving a lot in the shell. Any sugestions until what day should it's safe to wait
barnie.gif
?

Now here's the cool part. I vent sexed the first two and was dead on right. I stoped vent sexing as I knew I'd be sending off samples for DNA sexing so didn't bother with the other 3. However....the yearling that I hatched out last season (I thought I had an "IT")...turns out to be a female!!! She is from an egg I hatched that I got from ChickenZoo. Sorry that I got your girl CZ. If it helps any, she's a real peckerhead, literally!

Confirmed by DNA testing....... I have one male and one female.

Kathy, I would have guessed the exact opposite based on head feathering. That just goes to show you if you really want/need to know, go with DNA sexing. Inexpensive, accurate if you use the right lab, and instant gratification or heartbreak.

Back
Top Bottom