Sexing Golden Laced Wyandotte’s

Well, you can vent sex them, but that is risky and difficult if you are inexperienced. Just wait it out IMO. Any pics of your littles?

Right I forgot about vent sexing. And wasnt there feathers too something about that?

Anyways ya I’m ok with waiting I just didn’t want to miss something if they were sexable

I’ll post pictures tomorrow. They’re such little cuties! Still some coming out of the bator tomorrow :)

Right I forgot about vent sexing. And wasnt there feathers too something about that?

Anyways ya I’m ok with waiting I just didn’t want to miss something if they were sexable

I’ll post pictures tomorrow. They’re such little cuties! Still some coming out of the bator tomorrow :)
Awesome, yay! Can't wait for pics! Some breeds have light spots on the head for males ((barred rocks, for example), or darker or lighter down on males, etc. I think what you are thinking of though is that in some breeds wing feathers grow faster on females, so around the first few days females will have wing feathers first. This is only in some breeds though. Wyandotte usually take awhile to guess on because of that rose comb. Some pullets get red combs fast, and some cockerels stay light for quite a while. Good luck with your babies, hoping for lots of girls for you! How many chicks do you have?

Can you sex day olds?

Thanks!!
Sexing isn't just as accurate as the day-olds, it's just as "fast" to sex with a few weeks of tail growth. At 4 weeks, you can comb most Wyandotte sex, although some are late bloomers and you will have to wait until 6 weeks. Unfortunately, a straight run hatch helps you to bet on roosters.

Wyandottes can be notoriously hard to sex, even with comb color at 4-6 weeks.
Since you hatched them and they are supposedly pure breeds(?),
you might be able to tell the males from the females by comb color.

Back
Top Bottom