Sexing mandarin ducks

VirulentVulpine

Songster
Aug 4, 2019
My mandarin ducklings have been in their aviary for about a week now, and are growing fast. I don’t know how old they were when I purchased them last month, but I think it’s possible to sex them now. I’m thinking they’re all male, but one of them does have a duller beak than the other 2. Any mandarin keepers here that can tell me? :)

6BF6A072-A342-4C12-A222-02253CD3EDA2.jpeg

3FA25CA9-610A-4B9E-B719-ED7E47426269.jpeg

My mandarin ducklings have been in their aviary for about a week now, and are growing fast. I don’t know how old they were when I purchased them last month, but I think it’s possible to sex them now. I’m thinking they’re all male, but one of them does have a duller beak than the other 2. Any mandarin keepers here that can tell me? :)

View attachment 3553265

View attachment 3553264
I would say based off just the first pic the one on the far right could be a hen, but in the second pic they definitely all look like drakes.
The reddish bill is how to tell drakes at this stage so any that are pinky on the whole bill are drakes. A little in the corners does show up on some hens but only drakes get pink/red ok the whole bill.

This is one of my adult hen Mandarin ducks. Notice how grey the bill is, @Mantisquailman .
That pinkish coloring in the corners is the most they'll ever get.
_MG_8115.JPG~3.jpg

I would say based off just the first pic the one on the far right could be a hen, but in the second pic they definitely all look like drakes.
The reddish bill is how to tell drakes at this stage so any that are pinky on the whole bill are drakes. A little in the corners does show up on some hens but only drakes get pink/red ok the whole bill.
I guess I’ll be having to get some females now, unlucky! Was hoping I’d have at least one hen. :gig

I guess I’ll be having to get some females now, unlucky! Was hoping I’d have at least one hen. :gig
Haha! Looks that way. I don't know who you got them from, but I should have some available this fall if you can't find any anywhere else.

As an update, I’m suspecting that one of them may actually be a female. Their beak is significantly darker than the other two and they spend a lot of time preening or pecking at the others. What do you guys think?

IMG_7356.jpeg
IMG_7357.jpeg
IMG_7358.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom