Sexing Silkies! Please help! (Pic Heavy)

Your guesses usually seem pretty well educated and accurate, so I'm going to cling to hope! I was a bit disappointed the cockerel didn't end up bearded, (I'm sure he is too since one of his wattles is woefully inadequate compared to the other, and I mean, what man likes to hear his sister's have better beards than he does? :gig) but I'm super pleased with this batch in general!
The bearding gene is a funny one. I believe it is incomplete dominant. With two copies the bird gets a nice big beard, with one copy a smaller one and with no copies, none. I breed bearded Silkies and I still have a beardless one show up once in a while. 😊
My rooster looks like he has a full beard, but some of his daughters have huge beards. After hatching several chicks from him, I believe he only has one copy of the gene, despite his nice beard.

Yeah all the black silkies are like dark black. I have only ever seen ones that are dark, I think yours are all blues. You're definitely right on your sexing of them. To me it looks like 2 roos and the rest little ladies. Your roos may fight a little for dominance, but I think you have enough ladies in there for them both to have a few without problems (like I said they might go at it a couple times just to establish dominance). They don't see the best and they're kind of clumsy so I don't think they'll do to much damage to one another where you would have to remove. We have 2 silkie males (they've grown up together (brothers)) that are fulltime together with our silkie hens and polkie hens and the only roosters they try to fight are the ones that are on the outside looking in, and then if one accidentally slips in the pen if the door is left open for a min to feed in there. They don't want any other roos messing with their ladies.

Screenshot of black silkies
Screenshot_20220724-023646_Brave.jpg

Well, my littsplash puffball is crowing. A friend begged for my beardless boy so I caved and gave him over to hee. Two days later my splash puffball started to crow.. kind of. He's got an adorable little crow at the moment, but he's just as sweet as his brother, just as derpy too, so while I'm a little disappointed I'm short a fluffy pullet, he's still a wonderful little cockerel. I wonder if that comb of his will start growing now that he's top boy?

Back
Top Bottom