Sexing Speckled Sussex....

grace4261

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2016
Fredericksburg VA
Wondering if there is anyone who can give me tips, or share pictures, that can help me tell what sex my Speckled Sussex are? I have noticed very different tails on mine that I thought showed what was a boy and what was a girl, but now I am doubting myself. I have looked through all the threads on Speckled Sussex and they seem to be a jumble without any really clear idea coming through on sexing. Thank you in advance for any help you have to offer.

I feel like that turns into a guessing game. I can guess as well as anyone. =) I would really love to see pictures of Speckled Sussex at various ages that have turned out to be hens, and those that turned out to be roos.

Last edited:
How old are your birds?

Some folks go by feathering and tails, and there is some merit to that. But overall, with any breed, comb is the most reliable indicator. By 6 weeks you can usually spot a male by a larger comb that is getting red color. Pullets have small, pale fleshy colored combs until close to laying.

5.5 weeks. Out of the 5 chicks I have left from a hatch of 10, 2 have shorter fluffier tails that came in slower, and I am confident that at least one, and probably both of those are roos. There is a post with pictures of those two in the chicks for sale section. The other three have longer tails but 2 of those also have larger and reddish combs compared to the one I am certain is a girl. My gut says I have 3 girls and 2 boys, but I keep doubting myself being new to all this.

This post was helpful and leads me to believe even more I have three girls and two boys.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/991716/speckled-sussex-pullets-and-cockerels

Last edited:
I looked at your pics of the birds for sale and man, those are definite boys! Any bird with a comb like that at this age is male. I'm not sure why you're so focused on tails when you have a clear and definite marker like those combs?

Like I said I don't have a doubt about those two. =) It is the other two with what look like girl tails, but slightly larger and pinker combs that have me wondering. I will update later on with what they turn out to be.

Those pictures in the link are not of mine. I think I agree with the poster who stated that they ordered 4 girls and 2 boys, and that they could tell the boys from the girls by the tails. After looking at many pictures of Speckled Sussex that everyone said were boys because of the large combs, but turned out they were girls, it is my suspicion that the comb is not always the best determination of sex in this breed. I guess I will know for sure in a few months.

Back
Top Bottom