Sexing turkeys

Rstine

Chirping
Jun 19, 2016
I got my first turkeys last year. I started with 4 and all turned out to be toms. Now I'm not saying they weren't tasty, but I want to raise some and would like a trio. Can anybody give me sexing advice for when I buy my replacements?

Sexing poults is a tough one. Best guarantee to getting sex correct would be to buy adult birds from a breeder or craigs list.

I got my first turkeys last year. I started with 4 and all turned out to be toms. Now I'm not saying they weren't tasty, but I want to raise some and would like a trio. Can anybody give me sexing advice for when I buy my replacements?
These may help but are not guaranteed to work. I have had from 100% success to 0% success using these methods on day old poults.

Method used by @Celie

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/725829/turkeys-for-2013/2750

An alternate method

Last edited:
My advice is to either get old enough birds to tell the gender, or just keep getting more chicks. This happened to us once, we tried to get a female turkey companion for our other hen, and we ended up getting four males. If I were you I would just get more chicks and eat the males and keep the females if you want to. You never know, you could get all females! Good luck, hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom