Sexing turkeys?

chicken30009

In the Brooder
May 18, 2022
I am trying to determine the sex of my turkeys. I have tried researching and I am still unsure! Please help if you’re able. I have 2 bourbon reds hatched April 13 2021. And one (in the cage) of unknown age. I also have 3 Narragansetts I am unsure of the age. I can get better photos of all of them as well, just let me know. These are not their normal cages, I pulled them out from the rest of the flock so I could take better images. Thanks!
#1BR
8D65D50C-FE99-4D27-8916-7E972EF627BE.jpeg

#2 BR
9D2E799E-7048-4352-B99E-9A1D8847B23A.jpeg

#3 BR
10D2EB22-E1B5-41DB-92AB-017EBA9FDB40.jpeg

#4 NG
C63E25A2-26B2-4F13-8DF1-CCFFA8C131ED.jpeg

#1 and #2 at almost 2 years old are hens. #3 and the 3 in #4 without knowing age and better pics I couldn't tell you for sure but all look to be hens. Are they at least 6 months of age how long have you had them? #3 and #4 look to be smaller younger birds but can't tell from pics.

Last edited:
#1 and #2 at almost 2 years old are hens. #3 and the 3 in #4 without knowing age and better pics I couldn't tell you for sure but all look to be hens. Are they at least 6 months of age how long have you had them? #3 and #4 look to be smaller younger birds but can't tell from pics.
Aw man, of course I made a typo. The first 2 are born in April 2022. They are turkeys I have had since they were younger (3 weeks old).

Those have been fed a mix of Purina game bird and Nutrena Country Feeds Gamebird. I also add freeze dried worms and other seeds they seem to enjoy. When they were younger I gave them 30% gamebird starter. I will say the second picture isn’t the best and I believe they are in good health. They both have very vibrant personalities, weigh the correct amount (according to Google haha), and have plenty of access to grit, food, and clean water. They freerange most of the day as well and are only put in the coop at night.

The last 4 are turkeys I purchased today from someone who was shutting down their small farm. I bought their entire flock (14 birds) and have no idea the sex, age, feed they have been on, or prior medical history. I introduced them to a bigger pen and those are the ones who they said had not laid an egg or gobbled so I pulled those out in hopes of sexing them. I am just taking their word for now on the sex of the others.

I am always looking for tips and advice so please do let me know if I have described anything that isn’t good turkey care. I am always happy to receive advice and tips :)

I am always looking for tips and advice so please do let me know if I have described anything that isn’t good turkey care. I am always happy to receive advice and tips
They are adult turkeys. I recommend a good quality all flock feed with oyster shell free choice.

Keep the mealworms and other treats to a minimum. Total treats should be no more than 10% of their total diet.

Aw man, of course I made a typo. The first 2 are born in April 2022. They are turkeys I have had since they were younger (3 weeks old).

Those have been fed a mix of Purina game bird and Nutrena Country Feeds Gamebird. I also add freeze dried worms and other seeds they seem to enjoy. When they were younger I gave them 30% gamebird starter. I will say the second picture isn’t the best and I believe they are in good health. They both have very vibrant personalities, weigh the correct amount (according to Google haha), and have plenty of access to grit, food, and clean water. They freerange most of the day as well and are only put in the coop at night.

The last 4 are turkeys I purchased today from someone who was shutting down their small farm. I bought their entire flock (14 birds) and have no idea the sex, age, feed they have been on, or prior medical history. I introduced them to a bigger pen and those are the ones who they said had not laid an egg or gobbled so I pulled those out in hopes of sexing them. I am just taking their word for now on the sex of the others.

I am always looking for tips and advice so please do let me know if I have described anything that isn’t good turkey care. I am always happy to receive advice and tips :)

Everything sounds good but how often and how much of the worms and other seeds to you give them. And what kinds of seeds are they?
I give them millet and sunflower seeds. I also give them dried peas sometimes. They don’t get too much. We add around 5-6 pounds of it to a 50lb bag of feed. We also give them some as treats out of our hands. No more than a handful or two.

I give them millet and sunflower seeds. I also give them dried peas sometimes. They don’t get too much. We add around 5-6 pounds of it to a 50lb bag of feed. We also give them some as treats out of our hands. No more than a handful or two.
We give them it out of our hands once or twice a week. They get some mixed in with their food everyday but it’s not a really noticeable amount. Should I cut back the amount in their feed?

They are adult turkeys. I recommend a good quality all flock feed with oyster shell free choice.

Keep the mealworms and other treats to a minimum. Total treats should be no more than 10% of their total diet.
Thanks for the advice! So you don’t recommend game bird feed? Is there a brand specifically you recommend of all flock? I know they aren’t all created equal. Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom