Sexing Welsh Harlequins

naj55

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2016
Burien, WA
Hi all,
After watching some videos of welshies online I'm concerned I have all male ducks as they do not seem to have the distinctive quacks that I heard in the videos. Right now they are all 12 weeks old, I know to keep an eye out for the curly tail feather as it is a dead give away for a male. When they were ducklings the light/dark color beak made me think I had 3 girls and one boy. Here they are eating some dandelion greens does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help.
0.jpg

I hear more than one girl for sure. The one at the front right - is its bill yellow-green? And the others - are their bills black?

So three of them seem to have a yellow green tinge to their beak and one is almost jet black. There is one with the darker head coloring that has a yellow green tinge(the one that's a touch lighter than the almost pure brown)

Maybe a tinge of color, yes, but very dark bills, right? It seems the males have a lighter bill. I only have females though, so I have limited experience in sexing them by appearance.

How about a video with each one quacking separately? Doesn't have to be more than one or two quacks, and I can tell which is which.

I got some videos of the two possible males and one of the females. Not sure they actually quacked though.
0.jpg
0.jpg
0.jpg

First one is definitely a girl. Second and third ones...I hear a girl in each, but I'm not sure that the duck that's being filmed is making the noise?

This is my buff, Tony, at about the same age yours are, so you can hear what a boy will sound like:
0.jpg

There's a little female noise in the background in the first few seconds, but the other sounds throughout the video are also boys.

Last edited:
The second one is the one I thought was a male so maybe he is a male. Ill just keep monitoring and hopefully there will be some dead giveaways in their noises.

Back
Top Bottom