Sexing your Silkies (PICTURES AND TIPS - Updated July-5-12)

Pics
my mom is an avid silky enthusiast, and breeder. i have seen hundreds of silkies pass through her doors. The easiest way to tell is when they are 3-5 months the males will start to get their crow on. at about six months their crow will be fully developed. even as chicks they stand taller than the females more up right. the hens will hunch. chick sexing comes with experience. at this point i can sex them pretty accurately when the "chick fluff" starts to rub off. the hens tend to have a distinct tuft on their heads. that the roos lack. at a little over a week or so old. ignore the cochin/frizzle in the back. the black is a female. the white a male. hope this helps.
so what do you think mine are? 6 months no crowing no combs.

Hey Hey!

I need some help with sexing these little ones! They're approximately 4 months old. I think the one on the left is a boy and the one on the right is a girl, but I'm not really sure at all....really hope someone on here can tell me for sure what sex they both are.

Thanks in advance for the help. If you need me to take more photos at all, please let me know what you need and I'll get it right away :)

Hey Hey! I need some help with sexing these little ones! They're approximately 4 months old. I think the one on the left is a boy and the one on the right is a girl, but I'm not really sure at all....really hope someone on here can tell me for sure what sex they both are. Thanks in advance for the help. If you need me to take more photos at all, please let me know what you need and I'll get it right away :)
Honestly, based only on this picture I would guess them both to be pullets :) post more pics of you can

Last edited:
NEED HELP SEXING THESE TWO SILKIES!

Here are more pictures of the one I've been thinking is a cockerel (the one on the left in the picture above), but now I'm really confused/not sure if it is:

Here are more pictures of the one I've been thinking is a pullet, but again...I'm not sure now. I have no idea about sexing silkies obviously:

Any help/ insight would be greatly appreciated :)

With the pictures provided, I am leaning towards hen for both. I came to this conclusion because your birds are old enough to have streamers if they were roos. I am just not seeing streamers on either birds head. was trying to get a good photo of my alpha roo for you to see what I am talking about, but my alpha roo is too comfortable to get excited around me. I even tried the trick of picking up his favorite hen and upsetting her. so all I can do is describe it for you. Have you ever seen a cockatoo that flexes and relaxes it's head feathers in times of excitement? they will start with a little raise, and will pump their feathers a few times, to make sure that what they perceived as an excitement really was. as not to offend if the excitement was not indeed a threat, but play. silkie roos do it too with their streamer feathers. though obviously the streamers are not so pronounced.

Would I be right in thinking this is a rooster ?

Ok, so here are my 2 silkies, hatched March 14th so almost 5 weeks old. I know it is early but anyone have any guesses as to what sex they will be?

Back
Top Bottom