Sexing your Silkies (PICTURES AND TIPS - Updated July-5-12)

Pics
So I do have two roosters! One chance out of four to get TWO roosters in a row :-(
I was desperate as I can't keep a rooster where I live so I started putting adds to pet stores and feed supplies...
I get a call yesterday: one adorable lady who lives close by my house and has a farm... Eggs only no killings! Does not mind roosters! I visited them today: both doctors with a hobbie with birds: chickens and ducks in large pens... Fed with organic feed and they just sell the eggs in farmers market. I am happy I found a home for my boys... And sad for Chica their surrogate mother who will be alone again soon...
I'll wait until they start crowing to bring them over...
Chica is broody again and the chickies spend a lot of time by themselves... But they all snuggle up at night and a few times during the day. Do you think Chica will be sad and lonely when I take them away? She does kick them out during feeding time!
If only they could talk !!!
A few pics below. Chica was rescued from the side of the road 2.5 years ago. Aha had avian pox and lost one eye, plus has a crooked leg but she is the cutest hen you can find!!!

Just want to update. It's now confirmed that Chipmunk (the black one) is a hen. She started laying about 3 weeks ago. Our guesses are that Cupid (white) is a rooster, though he hasn't crow yet. Phyllis hasn't laid or crowed yet

Chipmunk:

Cupid:

Phyllis:

Just want to update. It's now confirmed that Chipmunk (the black one) is a hen. She started laying about 3 weeks ago. Our guesses are that Cupid (white) is a rooster, though he hasn't crow yet. Phyllis hasn't laid or crowed yet Chipmunk: . Cupid: Phyllis:
Phyllis looks like a female to me!! How old was chipmunk when she started laying??

I have a silkie here I was pretty sure was a female and was beginning to lay eggs that is about 6-7 months.

But yesterday she crowed at me like a roo would, and has been being a bit onry towards my white black crested polish roo, who is also about the same age.

I have 5 hens that 6-7 months old, 2 are white black crested polish pullets, 3 are mini bantams.

I also have another white black crested polish roo and his hen who are a year old (they are in a seperate coop and pen.)

I also have a guinea fowl (who is also in a seperate coop and pen) whom Levy (my silkie) started mimicing sounds the guinea makes at a very early age and now mimics his behaviors being bossy.

I also have 2 Indian Runner drakes and 5 Indian Runner hens....who the silkie just ignores (they are also in a seperate coop and pen.)

I am just not sure what to think, I was so sure my silkie was a hen and was the one the last couple days has laid the eggs I been finding in their coop (I know it is not my older hens because they are all in seperate coops and pens) but when Levy crowed at me I didn't know what to think and also this sudden onry bossy behavior towards my little roo. This all has started in the last couple days since I started finding the eggs in their coop.

Here is the best picture I could get of my little silkie....this pic doesn't really show...but is starting to get some waddles a little bit....but the comb and waddle area all a blueish gray...no red!

Posted this in another thread, but thought I would drop in here where the experts are hanging out. ;-)

The rest of the silkies from this bunch are clearly sexed at this point (4-5 mos old). This one, though...

Comb says roo. Carriage says hen. Neither pouf nor streamers. No definite behavior (crowing, mating, whatever). What do you think our Smaug is?

Roo. Crows, and finally got some male-looking comb and plumage.

Not only that, but survived injuries sustained in a dog attack on our flock. He's a hero.

Back
Top Bottom