Sexing your Silkies (PICTURES AND TIPS - Updated July-5-12)

Pics
I don't know how to sex a silkie, but wanted to post a photo of a rooster for reference. He is much bigger than the silkie hen, has longer tail feathers, more of a mohawk than a powder puff on his head, and has a big, bright, blue "ear." He's four months old and started crowing yesterday. Hope this helps!

Here is my 6 month old. I was told it was a girl.. Jury is still out

TGRREZ - I'm no expert here, but that one's looking pretty Roo to me. Not only the neck feathering, but the little wisps going back off the head (rather than big powder puff looking).

Chipmunk was about 6 months old.

Phyllis started laying also... she started about a month later than Chipmunk- so about 7 months.

Cupid is still not laying / crowing. (S)He is close to 8 months old. I keep looking for streamers - and I read somewhere that streamers are rough- well, her neck feathers are super soft, like the rest of the body. The comb is there, but so far, I haven't noticed any wattle coming in.

In terms of size, Chipmunk and Cupid are about the same size, Phyllis is a bit smaller. Two more pictures of Cupid.

Yep. We had two Silkies. One started jumping on the other hens backs,and grabbing the backs of their necks at just about 16 weeks. Then, he started to try out his voice. Luckily, my coworker that gave them to us was two hens was willing to take him back. If we weren't in town, we would have happily kept him.

I'm stressing here.
I only have one HEN right now and i just got these two new chickens.
One Silkie and one showgirl silkie but yesterday they started showing behaviors such as you are talking about.
They arent mean but they have been kinda going back and forth "tidbiting" over food so far.
My hen chases them both off she does not seem to like them and they stay away from her?

I already had a feeling the silkie is a roo and he is so cute! the showgirl is a little more timid. I'm not sure what that is. No crowing from either one but when they were "fighting" they both jumped up in the air, my silkie's feathers went up and a few minutes the showgirl did a dance. is that a sign of a rooster??
I dont wanna get rid of em :(
they are both four or five months old.

I'm stressing here. 
I only have one HEN right now and i just got these two new chickens. 
One Silkie and one showgirl silkie but yesterday they started showing behaviors such as you are talking about. 
They arent mean but they have been kinda going back and forth "tidbiting" over food so far. 
My hen chases them both off she does not seem to like them  and they stay away from her? 

I already had a feeling the silkie is a roo and he is so cute!  the showgirl is a little more timid. I'm not sure what that is.  No crowing from either one but when they were "fighting" they both jumped up in the air, my silkie's feathers went up and a few minutes the showgirl did a dance.  is that a sign of a rooster?? 
I dont wanna get rid of em :( 
they are both four or five months old.

When did you get them and how long have then been together with your one hen? I would think it would take some time for them to get used to each other. Got any pics?

Back
Top Bottom