Sexing your Silkies (PICTURES AND TIPS - Updated July-5-12)

Pics
This is my silkie chicken. Its about 8weeks old. Do u think it is a rooster or hen?? Any help would be great, thanks

Looks like a cockerel to me.

I'd love some help.

This is niamh. She is only 1.5 weeks ago

Yes 

This is sleepy

This is rihanna

This is annabelle

This is smokey

So I just picked up 4 silkies. I originally went for 3 but one ended up being a rooster for sure (his comb was starting to come in and he was fighting with our known silkie rooster). So they let me keep him and picked up another hen. I had looked it up and tried this thing where you put a thin magnet attached to a string and hold it over their head, if it spins in a clockwise motion it is a girl vs. if it moves in a motion from head to tail its a boy. So I tried this and according to that, I should have 3 girls (2 lavenders, one white) and one boy (not including the rooster I already have thats crowing) . I've attached photos just to make sure. Also from their antics, the Lavender male has been doing the tidbitting with the other females and they do come and check out what they have. Our original male rooster silkie is all white, so we can tell the difference. And the white one only picked a fight with the lavender male, didn't bother the other silkies. So I feel like its safe to assume that I've got 3 silkie females and two silkie roosters. Still not too sure what were going to do with so many roosters, but we do have other chickens, they're just standard sized though....

One on the very left is the male... I think

The white one I think is a female.

Same white one

And our original Male white silkie who just finished crowing.

Hi everyone I was wondering if you could help me sex these 3 month old silkies. My guess is the one on the left is a Roo and the one on the right is a Hen what do you think?

Hen? ^^^^^

Rooster?^^^^^^^

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom