Sexing your Silkies (PICTURES AND TIPS - Updated July-5-12)

Pics
:wootShe just started laying! :yesss:
IMG_4052.JPG

Ok friends! I know it's early but thought I'd give this a whirl! I have 4 - 6wk old, very PQ Silkies. I've really began noticing some behaviors in the last few days - thought I'd share some pics and what I've witnessed and see if anyone wants to throw out a guess!
(I have my own guesses but I'm dying to see what y'all think!)

Chick #1 (kinda stumped, also pushy, one of the first to the food, loves to perch and hang w/#2 - although, they do plenty of chest bumpin')
IMG_1223.JPG
IMG_1225.JPG

Chick #2 (Almost postitive a roo. Pushy, first to food, loves to perch, my homely lil' thing! I gotta love him cuz I'm afraid no one else will! )
IMG_1232.JPG

IMG_1233.JPG
IMG_1237.JPG

Chick #3 "Popcorn" (VERY docile, the last one to the food, would much rather nestle in and get comfy than perch) Chicks 3 & 4 are always together.
IMG_1229.JPG
IMG_1230.JPG
IMG_1236.JPG

Chick #4 (very docile, not doesn't care to perch much and is one of the last to the food - excuse its wet crest)
IMG_1220.JPG

IMG_1222.JPG
IMG_1235.JPG

Last edited:
Ok friends! I know it's early but thought I'd give this a whirl! I have 4 - 6wk old, very PQ Silkies. I've really began noticing some behaviors in the last few days - thought I'd share some pics and what I've witnessed and see if anyone wants to throw out a guess!
(I have my own guesses but I'm dying to see what y'all think!)

Chick #1 (kinda stumped, also pushy, one of the first to the food, loves to perch and hang w/#2 - although, they do plenty of chest bumpin')
View attachment 1131783 View attachment 1131784

Chick #2 (Almost postitive a roo. Pushy, first to food, loves to perch, my homely lil' thing!)
View attachment 1131774
View attachment 1131775 View attachment 1131776

Chick #3 "Popcorn" (VERY docile, the last one to the food, would much rather nestle in and get comfy than perch) Chicks 3 & 4 are always together.
View attachment 1131768 View attachment 1131769 View attachment 1131770

Chick #4 (very docile, not doesn't care to perch much and is one of the last to the food - excuse its wet crest)
View attachment 1131764
View attachment 1131765 View attachment 1131766

These are guesses but #2 looks like a boy & #3 a girl. The other 2 could go either way.

View attachment 1127979 Really thinking this one is a roo with that comb. He is half the size than his brother and hasn't crowed yet. 6 months old. His brother did at 4 months and I have no roosters atm.
Well, it's a pretty silkie. At 6 mo, you'll soon be getting an egg or a crow. My silkie's had no comb until recently. (age 6 mo) It popped out a little & then she started laying.

Thank you for taking the time to take a look! That's exactly my thoughts also. 1 & 4 have me stumped.:th
It's only guesses. I don't have much experience with silkies. My black one had no real comb (like your #3). I was pretty sure she was a female. My splash had a comb region like your #4. It was flat but slightly wider than my black's comb. I really thought that one was male (especially around 4-6 weeks), but now I'm pretty sure she's also a female. (Just no eggs yet)

It's only guesses. I don't have much experience with silkies. My black one had no real comb (like your #3). I was pretty sure she was a female. My splash had a comb region like your #4. It was flat but slightly wider than my black's comb. I really thought that one was male (especially around 4-6 weeks), but now I'm pretty sure she's also a female. (Just no eggs yet)
There such sneaky little turds! And just like everyone else - I'm afraid to get too attached but I know that certainty will have to wait. I still LOVE the guesses though!

Hey all! I have a five and a half month old giant mystery silkie from TSC.
It's growing spurs which should be a no-brainer (not to mention the size of its comb and wattles for its age), but it just sounds and acts so much like a hen and it's never showed the slightest hint of rooster behavior so I don't know what to think anymore. It definitely looks hen-feathered to me.

IMG_20170922_110943692.jpg

IMG_20170922_110627176.jpg

IMG_20170922_110850114.jpg

IMG_20170922_110830366.jpg

IMG_20170922_110928688_HDR.jpg

Hey all! I have a five and a half month old giant mystery silkie from TSC.
It's growing spurs which should be a no-brainer (not to mention the size of its comb and wattles for its age), but it just sounds and acts so much like a hen and it's never showed the slightest hint of rooster behavior so I don't know what to think anymore. It definitely looks hen-feathered to me.

View attachment 1142693
View attachment 1142698
View attachment 1142695
View attachment 1142696
View attachment 1142694

Some thoughts/ideas to explore:
Well that type of single comb is not a silkie trait, so he/she is likely some type of silkie mix. (The tail also supports the idea of a mix) In this case a mix may not be a bad thing. 5 months is when some breeds begin to lay, so you'll likely get an answer soon. If your bird is beginning to stop & squat when you pet it, then you have a female. (It's rare but there have been cases of females with spurs.) I do not see the typical silkie rooster "hair style" but again a mix-silkie may never get that.

Do you have roosters in your flock? If yes, then this bird may never crow - even if a male. If no other roosters around, then a male should be showing & sounding like one by now.

I actually have a 5.5 mo silkie (hatched April 15th). She's not laying yet but the other one from my March 4th hatch already laid about a doz eggs & then went broody. LOL

What about this little thing, we thought she looked most like a girl, but though we heard her crow, our other hens imitate our old roosters crow so she could just be imitating them? I'd really like some help cause just like my roo, I love this little bird and don't wanna have to let go of her.

Attachments

• IMG_5811.JPG
    IMG_5811.JPG
    400.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5812.JPG
    IMG_5812.JPG
    435.4 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom