Sexlinked crosses

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
2 questions:
What are some easy crosses to make sexlinks? Like ones that are very noticeable right away on if they're males or females

2: can you use 2 different colors from the same breed? I keep seeing gold and silver genetics used, does that mean I could uses like a goldnlaced polish and a silver laced polish and get sexlinked polish?

To answer your first question, a solid colored roo over a cuckoo or barred female makes a great sexlink. I did a black ameraucana over a cuckoo maran and the males have a spot on their head and are cuckoo and the females have a solid head and are all black.

To answer your first question, a solid colored roo over a cuckoo or barred female makes a great sexlink. I did a black ameraucana over a cuckoo maran and the males have a spot on their head and are cuckoo and the females have a solid head and are all black.
So then would male chicks be black with a spot and females be black? Or is that backwards?

Easiest sex-link cross is a non-white male over a barred female. Easy to tell at hatch, because males gets a head spot and females are solid.

Gold or red males over silver females will make a sex link cross (female chicks will be red, males yellow or white). A gold laced polish roo over silver laced polish hen is a sex link cross.

A popular barred sex link cross of different varieties of the same breed is the sapphire gem, which is a splash plymouth rock rooster over barred rock hens. You get solid blue females and barred blue males.

My personal favorite is sex link olive eggers, which you can make with a marans rooster over cream legbar hens, or an EE or ameraucana roo over cuckoo marans hens.

Here is a really good resource for sex link breeding: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sex-linked-information.261208/

Easiest sex-link cross is a non-white male over a barred female. Easy to tell at hatch, because males gets a head spot and females are solid.

Gold or red males over silver females will make a sex link cross (female chicks will be red, males yellow or white). A gold laced polish roo over silver laced polish hen is a sex link cross.

A popular barred sex link cross of different varieties of the same breed is the sapphire gem, which is a splash plymouth rock rooster over barred rock hens. You get solid blue females and barred blue males.

My personal favorite is sex link olive eggers, which you can make with a marans rooster over cream legbar hens, or an EE or ameraucana roo over cuckoo marans hens.

Here is a really good resource for sex link breeding: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sex-linked-information.261208/
Awesome. Polish are kinda popular here (for some reason) and figured it would be really easy to move chicks along if they were sexlinked and purebred.

Now a bit different, but What about like a black silkie over a barred silkie? Just trying to get ideas of what I might be able to do

Awesome. Polish are kinda popular here (for some reason) and figured it would be really easy to move chicks along if they were sexlinked and purebred.

Now a bit different, but What about like a black silkie over a barred silkie? Just trying to get ideas of what I might be able to do
I forgot to mention, but the males will be sort of a yellow color when full grown. Females will be true gold color.

You can do a black silkie roo over barred silkie hen.

Black silkie over barred silkie: yes, that will work fine. The blue gene can be added without messing up the sex linking, just like with the Sapphire Gem mentioned by FuzzyCritters. So you could potentially have blue silkie pullets and black silkie pullets, with cockerels being blue barred and black barred. (Splash might be a problem, because the headspot might be hard to see on the lighter colored chick down.)

Polish: the sexlinking works just fine, but the chick down has so much black that it might be hard to tell which gold and which is silver. You'd have to try it to be sure.

Yep.. any solid male over any barred hen. Check out some of the articles at this link.. Sex linking is down the page a bit..

Poultry Breeding & Genetics

Back
Top Bottom