Shaking head

mandk2309

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2017
I purchased a hen in really bad shape from a farm. She is in need of a lot of TLC. She has been in quarantine for the last 3 weeks. She has had 2 baths (I don't see mites or lice), she has been wormed and she has unlimited access to food and water. I have noticed when I go out and see her, she shakes her head kind of strangely. It's not like a tic but almost as if she is blind in one eye. I tried getting a video but she stops whenever I pull out the camera. My husband also said he hasn't noticed it at all, so I could just be overreacting. Any thoughts on what this could be? I saw a thread about ear tics and her head shaking is not like that. Thanks

Hi @mandk2309

A video would be great. If not we would love to see some photos of your hen:)

As @MasterOfClucker has suggested, inspecting her ears is a good idea - she could have an ear infection or possibly some mites in the ear.

Shaking the head can be a number of things - she may be adjusting her crop as well. Take some time to observe her when she can't see you. When do you see her shaking her head - is it after she has been eating/drinking - watch to see if she consistently does it after some type of activity or if it's random.

Back
Top Bottom