Share with me you favorite everyday, easy, non-bread maker bread

Quote:
I make bread with my Sourdough starter that sits on the back of the counter often. I'll add a cup of flour and water to the starter to double it, pour half into the mixing bowl and set the rest back for next time.

I like to cook up a little burgar wheat, oatmeal and add that to the basic recipe for bread, water, flour, butter, touch of salt, and knead until blended. Let rise until doubled, knead again, let rise, then bake @ 325 degrees for about 50 minutes. I bake in cast iron.

2 cups water -bathwater warm
2 packages yeast or 41/2 tsp bulk yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
disolve the above and let stand about 5 minutes
mix in 2 tsp salt
1/4 cup veg oil and 5-6 cups flour ( i use king arthur)
mix, knead, rise in a cold oven with the oven light turned on (just the right heat) until double in size, punch down, shape, rise again for an hour or so and bake 350 for tender crust or screaming hot like 500 for crusty loaf...i usualy do 350.
serve with lashings of butter and repeat frequently

I really don't care for the taste of whole wheat flour in bread, so I use a basic white bread recipe like the above, and substitute uncooked 5 minute oats for one cup of flour per loaf.

Strangely enough, when I flour chicken for oven frying, or veggies or cubed pork for saute, etc., I'd rather use whole wheat than white.

This is a super easy recipe...

Quick Casserole Bread

2 cups milk
2 pkg. yeast
3 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons butter
4 1/2 cups flour

Put 2 1/2 cups flour and the yeast in a large mixer bowl.

Heat milk, sugar, salt and butter together until pretty warm.

While beating flour, yeast mixture with a mixer slowly add warm milk mixture until well blended. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.

Add one more cup of flour blend in, then beat on high speed for 2 minutes.

Add last cup of flour and blend in by hand. Dough will still be very soft.

Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place till more than double, about 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375*

Stir down dough and beat vigorously by hand for 1 minute.

Turn into a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole. Bake at 375* for 45 minutes or till done.

Hi, we have been using this dough recipe for a long time and absolutely LOVE it, comes out very airy and has what I consider to be a wonderful taste. I really can not express how much I love this recipe
love.gif
. It is not strictly whole grain, but the flavor is more to our liking. NOTE: This makes a two pound loaf.

1 ¾ cup water (Note Water should be hot or nearly hot)

¼ cup vegetable oil

2 cups whole wheat flour (freshly ground for about 30 seconds in our vita-mix)

1/3 cup coarsely ground multi-grain (our multi grain is equal parts, millet, amaranth, quinoa, + a touch of flax)

¼ cup rolled oats

¼ cup steel cut oats

1/3 cup white flour

½ cup gluten

2 TBSP Soybean flour

1/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar

3 TBSP milk powder

1 TBSP vitamin C

2 tsp salt

2 tsp instant yeast

Last edited:

Back