Egg source: Breezy Birds Farms

Species and Breed: Button Quail

Origin location: Manitoba, Canada

Destination location: Ontario, Canada

Shipping condition on arrival: VERY well packed in individually cut holes in LOTS of foam, but one had a small dent on the small end and ended up as a mini "breakfast" surprise for my youngest daughter lol

Amount ordered: 24

Received: 25

Amount of eggs set: 24

Time allowed for these eggs to rest: 24 hours

Time and date set: May 7, 2021

Hatch result: TBD

Incubator used: Janoel 12/Magicfly

Temperature: 37.7C

Humidity: 35-45%

Fertility rate: Just candled, from the ones I can see into, looks like 17/24, 3 are too dark to see into, and 3 definitely look like yolkers, and one looks like an early quitter - small red start of an embryo, but no veining and looks detached from the membrane. I was impatient and couldn't wait, so 4 days is way too early, probably, but very good veining on the ones I could see. Will candle again before lockdown.

Other notes: Just got gifted a Borotto Lumia 16 for Mother's Day, so I'll be switching them over when it arrives this weekend!

Egg source: cedarmont_chickens (ebay)

Species and Breed: Silver & Gold Death Layers Chickens

Origin location: Tennessee

Destination location: Arkansas

Shipping condition on arrival: No damage to the box which had multiple bright stickers indicating it had live hatching eggs and was fragile. Each egg was individually wrapped in bubble wrap sandwiched between layers of shredded paper and plastic bags. No cracks or damage to the eggs.

Amount ordered: 10+

Received: 12

Amount of eggs set: 12 (with another 12 from my current hens)

Time allowed for these eggs to rest: Just under 24 hrs

Time and date set: May 7th I don't have an exact time but it was that evening before bed.

Hatch result: To be determined

Incubator used: Hova-bator & Triocottage

Temperature: 37.5 Celsius

Humidity: 55%

Fertility rate: 100% on both the ordered eggs and the eggs from my girls

Other notes: Getting the eggs I wanted was a pain, originally I ordered 6 Silver Death Layer eggs from another seller but after waiting over a month (the post said it could take up to 2 weeks before shipping them) and not getting a reply I had to contact ebay for a refund. I then ordered this batch and they were promptly shipped within a week. I wasn't originally going to incubate so many eggs since this is my first time but I had borrowed the hova-bator from a family friend when I ordered the first set and had bought my own incubator since then. So I figured why not add more experimenting to the mix and see how they both do. I did not candle them when I first got them so I have no clue what condition the air cells were in, I'll make sure to check next time. I was rather shocked when I candled them last night (Day 8) and all 24 were viable at one point and I could even see embryo movement in most of them. I did lose 2 at some point in the last few days, they had visible blood rings but they were my eggs not the shipped ones and they were both in the hova-bator. I know they still have a long way to go though and I will be happy if I end up with just a couple of the shipped eggs hatching, fingers crossed!

A little info on the eggs I collected from my hens: All 12 were collected from just 2 hens, my alpha hen Dumplin who is a barnyard mix (I've done so much research since I got her trying to figure out what her dominant breed may be and I'm at a loss) and my sweet Lilith an Ayam Cemani. My rooster Pretty Boy also called Chicken (as in Chicken & Dumplin) is a BR. The two eggs I've lost so far were one from each of my girls. I don't know why but I don't plan on my girls eggs making it to hatch but it's probably just because my main focus is the shipped eggs. I can honestly say I might cry tears of joy if one of my little Lilith's eggs makes it all the way, I'm in love with her and her breed. She was a breeders cull so I'm interested to see what kind of traits I'll get in a chick from her and Pretty Boy.

That was a lot, my bad, I'm just super excited and nervous and it seems like no matter how much I research I still don't know what I'm doing 😅

Egg source: cedarmont_chickens (ebay)

Species and Breed: Silver & Gold Death Layers Chickens

Origin location: Tennessee

Destination location: Arkansas

Shipping condition on arrival: No damage to the box which had multiple bright stickers indicating it had live hatching eggs and was fragile. Each egg was individually wrapped in bubble wrap sandwiched between layers of shredded paper and plastic bags. No cracks or damage to the eggs.

Amount ordered: 10+

Received: 12

Amount of eggs set: 12 (with another 12 from my current hens)

Time allowed for these eggs to rest: Just under 24 hrs

Time and date set: May 7th I don't have an exact time but it was that evening before bed.

Hatch result: To be determined

Incubator used: Hova-bator & Triocottage

Temperature: 37.5 Celsius

Humidity: 55%

Fertility rate: 100% on both the ordered eggs and the eggs from my girls

Other notes: Getting the eggs I wanted was a pain, originally I ordered 6 Silver Death Layer eggs from another seller but after waiting over a month (the post said it could take up to 2 weeks before shipping them) and not getting a reply I had to contact ebay for a refund. I then ordered this batch and they were promptly shipped within a week. I wasn't originally going to incubate so many eggs since this is my first time but I had borrowed the hova-bator from a family friend when I ordered the first set and had bought my own incubator since then. So I figured why not add more experimenting to the mix and see how they both do. I did not candle them when I first got them so I have no clue what condition the air cells were in, I'll make sure to check next time. I was rather shocked when I candled them last night (Day 8) and all 24 were viable at one point and I could even see embryo movement in most of them. I did lose 2 at some point in the last few days, they had visible blood rings but they were my eggs not the shipped ones and they were both in the hova-bator. I know they still have a long way to go though and I will be happy if I end up with just a couple of the shipped eggs hatching, fingers crossed!

A little info on the eggs I collected from my hens: All 12 were collected from just 2 hens, my alpha hen Dumplin who is a barnyard mix (I've done so much research since I got her trying to figure out what her dominant breed may be and I'm at a loss) and my sweet Lilith an Ayam Cemani. My rooster Pretty Boy also called Chicken (as in Chicken & Dumplin) is a BR. The two eggs I've lost so far were one from each of my girls. I don't know why but I don't plan on my girls eggs making it to hatch but it's probably just because my main focus is the shipped eggs. I can honestly say I might cry tears of joy if one of my little Lilith's eggs makes it all the way, I'm in love with her and her breed. She was a breeders cull so I'm interested to see what kind of traits I'll get in a chick from her and Pretty Boy.

That was a lot, my bad, I'm just super excited and nervous and it seems like no matter how much I research I still don't know what I'm doing 😅

Here's another shipped egg incubation experiment, and I'm taking a risk here setting these in an occupied incubator that is currently on lockdown. I had to decide to either let them go bad while waiting for these quail to hatch, or set them. This was due to an error on my part, as I should have requested when I ordered the eggs to have them ship at a later date. I neglected to do so and when the auction ended they were packed and sent. That was my fault. They were shipped promptly and arrived without damage. Here are the stats on these eggs:

Stats
Egg source: Breeder is eBay seller bwi_bow_iwyzalavq

Species and Breed: Standard Chicken, White Faced Black Spanish

Origin location: Virginia

Destination location: Oregon

Shipping condition on arrival: Box was damaged, eggs arrived uncracked. Each egg was wrapped individually in two layers of bubble wrap. Four eggs have saddled air sacs. Two are severe. The rest have air sacs in their proper place.

Amount ordered: 10

Received: 11

Amount of eggs set: 11

Time allowed for these eggs to rest: 24, but they will be unturned for the first few days of incubation. I have had incubations in the past with success where the eggs were set round end up and not turned for the first few days. I am giving these eggs extra time to sit still so their sacs can settle some more, plus the incubator is on lock down for a current clutch of quail eggs.

Time and date set: 11:00 am March 25th 2021

Hatch result: To Be Determined

Incubator used: Little Giant forced air incubator

Temperature: 99.5

Humidity: 70% (set during quail egg lockdown, will be decreased after the quail are removed)

Fertility rate: To be Determined.

Other notes: the eggs are currently set on silicone rings with the rounded end pointed up. After these quail eggs hatch they will be candled and placed on the automatic egg turner with the chicken egg rails. I am attempting a still set, where the first few days I don't move the eggs. Partly because they had a rough ride, partially because I have no other choice due to the incubator being currently occupied. Wish these babies luck! The photos of their parents on the ebay listing shows some gorgeous birds and my son really likes this breed's looks. We plan to keep one chick, and any others will be living on my dad's farm. He saw that I have an incubator and asked me to hatch him some chicks. If this batch is unsuccessful, we will get some eggs locally and start over for him to get his flock going.
Hi. Any update on how these turned out?

Here's another shipped egg incubation experiment, and I'm taking a risk here setting these in an occupied incubator that is currently on lockdown. I had to decide to either let them go bad while waiting for these quail to hatch, or set them. This was due to an error on my part, as I should have requested when I ordered the eggs to have them ship at a later date. I neglected to do so and when the auction ended they were packed and sent. That was my fault. They were shipped promptly and arrived without damage. Here are the stats on these eggs:

Stats
Egg source: Breeder is eBay seller bwi_bow_iwyzalavq

Species and Breed: Standard Chicken, White Faced Black Spanish

Origin location: Virginia

Destination location: Oregon

Shipping condition on arrival: Box was damaged, eggs arrived uncracked. Each egg was wrapped individually in two layers of bubble wrap. Four eggs have saddled air sacs. Two are severe. The rest have air sacs in their proper place.

Amount ordered: 10

Received: 11

Amount of eggs set: 11

Time allowed for these eggs to rest: 24, but they will be unturned for the first few days of incubation. I have had incubations in the past with success where the eggs were set round end up and not turned for the first few days. I am giving these eggs extra time to sit still so their sacs can settle some more, plus the incubator is on lock down for a current clutch of quail eggs.

Time and date set: 11:00 am March 25th 2021

Hatch result: To Be Determined

Incubator used: Little Giant forced air incubator

Temperature: 99.5

Humidity: 70% (set during quail egg lockdown, will be decreased after the quail are removed)

Fertility rate: To be Determined.

Other notes: the eggs are currently set on silicone rings with the rounded end pointed up. After these quail eggs hatch they will be candled and placed on the automatic egg turner with the chicken egg rails. I am attempting a still set, where the first few days I don't move the eggs. Partly because they had a rough ride, partially because I have no other choice due to the incubator being currently occupied. Wish these babies luck! The photos of their parents on the ebay listing shows some gorgeous birds and my son really likes this breed's looks. We plan to keep one chick, and any others will be living on my dad's farm. He saw that I have an incubator and asked me to hatch him some chicks. If this batch is unsuccessful, we will get some eggs locally and start over for him to get his flock going.

Hello! Yes, I made an update on the white faced black Spanish chicks. I don't know how to link it to this comment, haha. 😅It's in this thread.

Here's another update to go along with that. There were six that hatched viable and they are all happy and healthy. There was one that hatched alive but with an exposed spinal chord. That one was put down. It was unable to balance and stand, and was in a lot of pain unfortunately. Two turned out to be cockerels, and four are pullets. Two of the pullets are still ours; the other four are living on my mom and dad's farm.
I don't have pictures at the moment but I can post some later today.

Results
Set: 24 eggs (12 shipped eggs, 12 eggs from my hens)
Made it to lockdown: 22
Had 2 quitters about halfway through both eggs from my hens.
Hatched: 19 (9 from shipped eggs)

I'm more then thrilled with my hatch all together. I expected a lot worse results since it's my first hatch and half my eggs were shipped but 9 out of 12 shipped eggs hatched for a total of 19 out of 24.
Plus I got two chicks from my Ayam Cemani, Lilith (it's no secret that she's my favorite), super excited to see what the mix of her and my rooster will look like as they grow.

Back
Top Bottom