Share your stories of your amazing roosters!

I don’t have a story just wanted to show my handsome Naked Neck Rooster. Johnny is a bit of a trouble maker, but I love him anyway!
58ABBBEF-F517-4437-B01D-EC8318CDF316.jpeg

View attachment 2006308
This is Pippi.
View attachment 2006309
This Mad
View attachment 2006310
This is Abby and Alice

Everyone is peaceful in the hen and pullet pens. Wish I could say the same for Mad and Pip. Mad’s Going to go hoarse from crowing and Pip is going to wear himself out pacing the fence line. Poor babies.

View attachment 2006311
Not to hurt their feelings, I took a picture of the hens, all except Bee is in the one. I think she is inside laying.
Beautiful Valerie! :love Mad is especially handsome!! 💖

Ok. I kind of got one. I live Kauai, Hawaii where we have plenty of wild chickens everywhere... I kid you not, they are everywhere. That will come into play a little later in my small story.

I purchased my first 2 chicks from the feed store a few years back. 2 is never enough so I quickly got 3 more from a breeder- one being a cockerel, Elvis. A big beautiful Brahma :love
original_file_home.jpg

I absolutely loved him but he was the WORST! He was rude and mean to the young girls so I had to figure something out. After trying a few different things i ended up dropping him off at our horse pasture with a big scrappy wild flock that I feed and keep an eye on. I opened the carrier and this well fed, extra large monster struts out and I think... Oh God, what have I done!!! I've unleashed the Devil into this poor flock and onto my other favorite roo Mr. Biggles- a beautiful Cinnamon mix 2/3 Elvis's size, who was the big reason I got chickens in the first place, and who BTW was a fantastic roo, father, friend. My heart sank and I felt terrible...
IMG_20181203_084926291_HDR (2).jpg

Well, Elvis may have won the first battle, maybe even two but Mr. Biggles was seasoned and relentless. I came back that eve and Biggles had Elvis on the run. So I scooped Elvis up and took him home thinking he had learned his lesson and wanting to correct my mistake and rid the wild flock of this monster.
But he was worse when he got home. So, with a desperate and heavy heart I brought Elvis back to the pasture where it was much of the same thing. Elvis reared up acting all bad but this time Mr. Biggles had his #. I left Elvis there that night but the next eve he was so traumatized, hungry and thirsty wanting to go back his soft home. Elvis saw me and tried to come to me but Mr. Biggles caught sight of him and made chase till he got him under the riding lawnmower. There Elvis stayed and cowered and cried begging for mercy. It was absolutely heart breaking... ha ha!
Mr. Biggles was beat and bruised but clearly the winner. I lifted and crawled to pick up the poor shaking Elvis and took him home one more time... But, this time, he was the most perfect gentle rooster that I had seen from then on out.... next to, and thanks to Mr. Biggles of course.
Very sad to report- Mr Biggles was attacked by what I guess was a dog someone brought to the rodeo this time last year. I'm sure he was protecting his girls that he so tenderly took care of. We were devastated. His first son, Big Red is now in charge (cockerel in photo). I raise two of Mr Biggles babies at home. They are now over 2 yo and very close to my heart. The great thing about roos is they give you a piece of them in their short lives. A good roo will truly touch your heart like Mr. Biggles did mine.
IMG_20181219_075826226.jpg

***I did bring Mr. Biggles home twice when someone first dropped him off at the pasture years ago, but he preferred the wide open spaces, the many trees and hens of Waimea. It is very nice there and I think he lived the life he wanted. I will always miss him. I now have 12 very loved and cared for hens thanks to him ;)

Last edited:
Ok. I kind of got one. I live Kauai, Hawaii where we have plenty of wild chickens everywhere... I kid you not, they are everywhere. That will come into play a little later in my small story.

I purchased my first 2 chicks from the feed store a few years back. 2 is never enough so I quickly got 3 more from a breeder- one being a cockerel, Elvis. A big beautiful Brahma :love View attachment 2006336
I absolutely loved him but he was the WORST! He was rude and mean to the young girls so I had to figure something out. I dropped him off at our horses pasture with a big scrappy wild flock that I feed and keep an eye on. I opened the carrier and this well fed, extra large monster struts out and I think... Oh God, what have I done!!! I've unleashed the Devil into this poor flock and onto my other favorite roo Mr. Biggles- a beautiful Cinnamon mix 2/3 Elvis's size, who was the big reason I got chickens in the first place, and who BTW was a fantastic roo, father, friend. My heart sank and I felt terrible...
View attachment 2006346
Well, Elvis may have won the first battle, maybe even two but Mr. Biggles was seasoned and relentless. I came back that eve and Biggles had Elvis on the run. So I scooped Elvis up and took him home thinking he had learned his lesson. But not! So, with a heavy heart I brought Elvis back to the pasture where it was much of the same thing, Elvis reared up acting all bad but this time Mr. Biggles had his #. I left Elvis there that night but the next eve he was traumatized, hungry and thirsty wanting his soft home. Elvis saw me and tried to come to me but Mr. Biggles caught sight of him and chased him under the riding lawnmower where he stayed and cowered and cried begging for mercy. It was absolutely heart breaking... ha ha! Mr. Biggles was beat and bruised but clearly the winner. I picked up poor shaking Elvis and took him home again. This time, he was the most perfect gentle rooster that I had seen from then on out.... next to Mr. Biggles of course.
Very sad to report- Mr Biggles was attacked by what I guess was a dog at the rodeo this time last year. Probably protecting his girls that he so tenderly took care of. We were devastated. His first son, Big Red is now in charge (cockerel in photo). I raise two of Mr Biggles babies at home. They are now over 2 yo.View attachment 2006364
I did try taking Biggles home twice when he was first dropped off at the pasture but he preferred the wide open spaces, the many trees and hens of Waimea. I think he lived the life he wanted.
I'm so sorry you lost Mr. Biggles! :hugs He sounds like a wonderful rooster. And I'm so glad Elvis worked out!!! Now, if I could just find a seasoned rooster to teach my Mad Hatter a lesson or two. :lau

I'm so sorry you lost Mr. Biggles! :hugs He sounds like a wonderful rooster. And I'm so glad Elvis worked out!!! Now, if I could just find a seasoned rooster to teach my Mad Hatter a lesson or two. :lau
I agree! Don't give up on him... I know it's hard because of all of those darn hormones but he is so handsome and there is a chance! Mr Biggles was a punk too when he first showed up at the pasture.

Back
Top Bottom