Sharing a method that I have found to help timid new chicks adjust to people without being forceful

HollowOfWisps

Previously AstroDuck
Aug 28, 2020
Iowa
“Cupcake” (kids named her) the cat decided to have her kittens in my brooder room. Since it is the safest place for the kittens right now, I have my first batch of chicks of the year inside my office. Now I am not a chick handler unless I am cleaning the brooder or I need to check a chick for health reasons. However, it makes my life easier if my chickens are tame enough to catch for health inspections and care. So with this batch indoors I decided to try an idea I had to tame the chicks through trust and on their terms. They arrived last Friday so it has been exactly one week. I would like to also add that I used absolutely no treats for this. The only food they have received in my care is their chick feed. The only time they were held was moving them out to clean the brooder. Nothing else. Here is what I did:

Day 1: After placing them in the brooder I let them settle for an hour. After the first hour I sat on the ground and reached my hand into the corner of the brooder palm up. Not moving and not trying to pet or touch. They of course were hiding under the brooder plate. I sat there for a couple of minutes like that and then left. Picture of day one which is what you would expect.
02B65940-606F-41EA-A0EB-49C892E48965.jpeg

Days 2-6: Same thing, but I increased it two-three times a day sitting next to the brooder with my hand in the corner, at ground level and palm up for a couple minutes at a time. Just allowing them to get used to me and not moving. They started to grow more curious with each day.

Day 7 (today): We had our breakthrough! I walked over to the brooder and they all came running to the side of the brooder that I was on. This time they seemed more receptive and I decided to put my hand down more in the middle of the brooder. When I put my hand down they were jumping in and out of my hand like little jelly beans. Running around my hand brushing right up against not caring a bit. Pictures from today:
8E232B58-FE8A-4B39-9DCA-598AFE51C534.jpeg

CF933F21-7563-415F-8893-A2220EA6155C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom