Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Meat

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • Wool

Votes: 33 37.1%
  • Dairy

Votes: 7 7.9%

• Total voters
If I could have any sheep it would be Shetlands. But where I live Dorper are the best option. Of course most peeps on this forum would probably prefer babydolls.

One day...

Last edited:
Quote:
I am new to sheep and only have three, two ewes and a wether, Jacobs, all three

Cool. When I was first looking to purchase sheep a few years ago I was looking to buy a Jacob ewe lamb or a "pregnant" cross bred. I (of course) chose the pregnant one and she ended up not being pregnant. So in the spring I got a bottle baby Dairy ewe lamb and named her Bluebell (the so called pregnant one was named Isabel). She turned out to be huge. Then we got the ram from the same people we got Isabel from and he was fine for a time, but then things got bad so he went bye-bye. He was father to Bluebell's first and second time twins the first time it was 2 girls and the second time it was a boy and girl. He was also the father to Isabel's first time triplets 2 girls and a boy and her second time twins girls.

When they first had babies it was our second year with sheep and that really surprised us when we got 5 lambs. Our third year with sheep they both had twins which was a lot easier but still they surprised us because they were a week apart and we came home from errands the first week and were surprised to see that Bluebell had twins and were even more surprised the next week when Isabel had her twins when we got home from some different errands. So both times surprised us and I wish we would have had lambs this year but then again I am thankful we didn't, because Bluebell is a terrible mother so if she has lambs that just means getting up and dressed in the middle of the night to make sure everything is going okay with her and it usually isn't. So it means lots of fun and sleepless nights:D

And now I am going to get the Shetlands, so that will be an entirely new adventure since they are significantly smaller than the sheep I am used to. They should be a lot easier to handle at the fair and shows. :D

Last edited:
If I could have any sheep it would be Shetlands. But where I live Dorper are the best option. Of course most peeps on this forum would probably prefer babydolls.

One day...
Babydolls!? "Not I" quoth the Scotsman!

I love my hair sheep. They are a little smaller than most meat or wool breeds, especially Suffolk and Hampshires, but that's O.K. with me. Easier to handle.

All the shearing I have to do each year is my guard llama, but he's enough! He's the "thou shalt not touch' type. Plenty friendly, he just doesn't want to get caught ('cuz that's when he gets sheared, wormed, or shots!)
wee.gif

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of my sheep.

Isabel on Christmas 2012

Isabel with her lamb in 2011

Baby Bluebell

Bluebell at 7or 8 months

Bluebell full grown wagging her tail:D

Hi everyone,
I just fixed the poll and added Hair to it but doing so erased all the results so please redo your vote!
Have a great rest of your day!

You're not alone.
I have two that will lamb in April and the rest will lamb in May.
I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some pics of my lambies (taken this past summer when we still had grass).

big_smile.png

OOOOOH, pretty sheep!!! Those are some interestingly colored Katahdins, Alienchic. Would that be from some of your Alien influence, perhaps? Very pretty.

One of these days, I will either post from my main computer that has all my stored photos, or get new batteries for my camera, so I can post some photos of my 'gang'.

Back
Top Bottom